HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, May 08, 2008

Pampered!

I've always wondered why people rave about going to a spa. I've never been to a spa, I don't really like being touched by strangers, and I think I might be a bit too uptight to try mud or seaweed wraps. They kinda gross me out. I think that most women in my age group aren't the spa going types. They didn't have spas when we were young women, and pampering wasn't really in fashion during the feminist revolution.

So today, when the Girl treated me to a mini spa experience of a manicure and pedicure, I was glad to go, but not overly excited. I mean, nail polish is fun and all, and I'm always happy to choose a daring color that nobody else would wear, but that's about the extent of my love of beautiful nails. Besides, I bite my cuticles and my thumbs are always in some state of disrepair. It's a bad habit, but I've been at it for well 40 years and I don't think I'm going to be stopping anytime soon. I feel lucky that I've limited my cannibalistic ways to only my thumbs.

Ahead we marched into the nail salon, and they did my pedicure first. OMG, what a treat. My feet are horribly sensitive and I thought it would be difficult for me once my neuropathy set in to my toe. I was partly wrong. The pedicure chair was a full on massage chair. I rocked that baby back to a recline position, put it on knead up and down, and sunk right into the massage. I had the rollers going up and down my back, and the karate chops accompanying it. I could feel all the tension dissipate. My feet were in the whirlpool bath, my eyes were closed, and I was in heaven. Those massage chairs are such a gift from God. What an invention they are. I'm the kinda person that goes into Sharper Image, plants my butt in the biggest massage chair they have, and sits there until people start circling like vultures. The nerve of those people trying to interrupt my few hours of pleasure!

Once my feet were sanded and massaged and creamed and whatever else they do, I had the OPI polish from the Indian collection, strangely called Yoga-ta-get-this-blue, painted on my toes. They now look like my little bitty toenails are made of sapphires. It's gorgeous!

I liked it so much I had it done on my hands, too. My fingernails have never looked better. The woman that did them was so nice and interesting and she made me feel like a queen.

While I was getting my nails done, the Girl was getting a 'full set' of acrylic nails put on, and then she got a 'French' with Lincoln Park and Windy City, complementary colors of dark burgandy and a light lilac. It's not MY taste, but it's pretty!

She also sat in the massage chair and was totally relaxed and happy as a clam. Not one complaint.

I don't think we've ever done a girly day thing together, or if we have, I can't remember when. I know her first manicure was a gift from Nina, and that was a long long time ago.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Sounds wonderful, and like some really good bonding time with your daughter. Personally, pedicures definitely have a secure place in my own personal version of heaven.

Oh, and at the (destination) spa I've been to twice now there are plenty of people your age - more than there are of mine in fact.

8/5/08 1:44 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I've never had either a mani or a pedi. I think it's time. Maybe when my girl comes home from school for the summer, we can bond over nails.

8/5/08 9:21 PM  
OpenID chloefieri said...

Sounds like your homeschooling program is going just great!

9/5/08 2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.