HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

WFMW: Representing myself and other annoying items

This week's Works For Me Wednesday is a backwards day, so I'm supposed to tell you what doesn't work for me. Because I'm already on the topic of school meetings and IEPs and special needs kids, I'll tell you the one thing that never works well for me, attending school meetings by myself.

I'm certainly capable of representing myself. I know the SpEd laws inside out. I know how to ask for services and I'm really good at refusing services offered that are inappropriate. But what I don't do well, what most parents don't do well at these meetings, is to separate myself from the emotions I feel as a parent. I get angry, I am often feeling hurt and misunderstood, and I get terribly frustrated. Plus, you might have noticed that I have a little problem with sarcasm. Like, I find it impossible to communicate without being sarcastic and this does not bode well for representing myself at an educational meeting. So I also use an advocate, a person that will guide the meeting, kick me when I get a tad bit out of control, and direct the school representatives in the right direction when they seem to be lacking the ability to think outside the box.

Other things that don't work for me?

Packaged foods. Too salty, ingredients too scary, I avoid them like the plague.

Soda. What is the point of soda? It makes you burp, it contains up to 12 teaspoons of sugar per can, and it doesn't quench your thirst.
The Rubicks Cube. We always have one around. Nobody ever solves it. Again, what's the point?

GPS navigational systems. They are too slow for me. I don't drive the way they give directions. Written directions work better for me. I know, I'm weird.

Crackberries. I've had several. I always go back to paper. I'm not a luddite by any means, but paper is just so much faster for me.

Pantyhose. What is there to say about these things except thank God they are no longer in style!

Shoe stores. They do not carry my size. Ever.

Bras. Too hard to find that fit correctly. And what is with all the padding? I don't need or want padding. I just want a bra that fits and is comfortable. Is that too much to ask?

What doesn't work for you?

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger jskell911 said...

I hear you on the bringing an advocate to IEP meetings! My DS has Aspergers and we FINALLY have an IEP in place after 4 years of trying. Luckily for me, DH is a wonderful advocate to have with me. He can separate those pesky "this is my child" actions, from all the rest. Not that he doesn't think them, he just acts more rationally instead of emotionally, so he keeps me in check!

7/5/08 9:43 AM  
Blogger ames said...

I've found what I consider to be the perfect bra. Although it has a little bit of padding (I agree, why??), I could just live in the Body by Victoria bra from Victoria's Secret. It's a little pricy, but it's very durable and lasts a long time! I have yet to have one where the underwire pokes through or the elastic wears out, they come in all kind of colors, and they are insanely comfortable. The only thing I buy from VS, but so worth it.

7/5/08 11:54 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Oh, the IEP meetings -- too true. But the item that made me smile was the Rubik's Cube. In college, I had one in my dorm room. I would fiddle with it now and then, make progress, but never quite finish. My roommate had a good friend who was a math whiz, and I'd always know he'd been there when my Cube was finished. I'd come back to my room and find it done in patterns!

8/5/08 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.