HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, June 22, 2008

It's gonna be a long summer

We're at the first weekend of our school vacation and I'm ready to get in the car and drive away. Far far away.

Let's see now, we've got one kid grounded for stealing money out of my wallet and one kid that thinks that this is a place to stop and occasionally sleep, but otherwise isn't relevant to her life. I feel like we're ships passing in the night.

Years ago I saw an article about how important it is to have a family dinner every night and I was like "So why is this news? We always have dinner as a family. Doesn't everyone?" As usual, I have had to eat my words recently. I can't even think of the last time we've sat down as a family and eaten the same meal together. It's been weeks and weeks, though. The Boy is continually hungry and starts his first dinner around 5, then a second one and then a third or fourth, but none of them coincide with what I'm making or when I'm eating. The Girl eats nothing that I make and exists on plain pasta with cheese. She eats that pretty much every night.

The only meal that I make that I know they will both eat is pizza. Not exactly you're healthiest meal, although I've tried to up the ante with whole wheat crust and fresh veggies on top. But I admit that it's worrisome that we don't eat together any more. Plus, the kitchen is in a constant state of crisis.

Then there's the "oh I made plans" stuff. My children both make plans without talking to me first. It drives me batty. But I can't really restrict them from being with their friends over the summer except when they're grounded. They need to have something to do. I can't entertain them much anymore. I just spend my time with them either driving them nuts with chores they refuse to do, or with nagging. At least that's how they see it.

It will improve. We've only just started on this journey through summer, and there will be things to do and places to go. We'll get through it and we'll be fine. We're an amazingly strong little family, despite all of our quirks. There's a lot of love here in this house. There's also a lot of work to be done over the summer, and we'll do it together, one complaint at a time.

In the meantime, keep us in your thoughts. Because it's possible that we might kill each other before the summer ends.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Fox In Detox said...

Boy does this bring back memories. I once got some advice from a woman who had 3 girls all in their 20's. She said "Teens need to be ruled with an iron fist and a down heart". It took me a while to figure out that what she meant was, make the rules and be unyielding with the "life or death" ones...the rest will survive some bending.

23/6/08 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.