HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, June 27, 2008

OK, I was sorta kinda wrong...maybe

I've never been enamored of the Girl's boyfriend. He hasn't given me much cause to adore him, and frankly, he's given me plenty of cause to worry about her safety and health. He's just not what I envisioned when I thought of her first serious boyfriend. At all. But there's no accounting for taste, is there?

He was over last week during the last segment of the long-running Insane Dad soap opera, and we had a fairly good talk. He wasn't stoned, for once, and was able to articulate his thoughts and his feelings, which was so far unique to me. He actually was kinda pleasant. OMG. I can't believe I said that. But it's true.

However, what comes next is mind boggling.

The Girl comes home yesterday afternoon bursting with laughter. She can't wait to tell me this. She says "Guess what Boyfriend bought with his birthday money?" I guess a car, but nope...I guess a boat, but nope. I guess seasons tickets for the Red Sox (not very plausable), but nope. I give up.

She is laughing so hard she can barely breathe. She says, "He bought a chicken coop and some chickens." My mouth is hanging open. I can't believe her. It's true. He went to city hall, got the permits, checked with all his neighbors, ordered the coop and the chicks online, and had them all delivered yesterday. Without telling his parents. (They are OK with it and rather astounded that this is what he wanted to do with his birthday money.)

Of course I now love him because I love chickens. And I think that a kid that can go to city hall and get permits and talk to all his neighbors and make a plan to have a chicken coop and chickens built in his backyard is... well, mega cool. Plus, and this is the best part, he knows of my love of chickens and is raising one for me. So we'll get fresh eggs out of this deal.

I can't wait to go over and see the coop. The company he ordered it from comes out, builds the coop and the fencing, provides the chicks (Rhode Island Reds), even puts in the straw for the laying stations, and brings enough chicken feed for a month. Of course now he has to figure out where to buy chicken feed and he's going to have to learn how to keep the various suburban wild animals out of the coop, but the back yard is fenced plus the coop is fenced plus they have several cats of the rather mean variety, so I think that one might be already solved.

A chicken coop. What every 16 yr-old boy wants for his birthday. Isn't that hilarious? Which means that I might have maybe prejudged him a little bit. A teeny tiny little bit. OY.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave2 said...

Chickens make the best pets!

28/6/08 12:12 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

I know. I had them as a kid, more than just a few, and although they DO have their quirks, and they DO get aggressive at times, mostly they just crack me up. They're so fun to watch and play with. And make fun of. :-)

28/6/08 2:12 AM  
Blogger gem said...

That is brilliant. My son decided he wanted chickens for his birthday a few years ago. He was only nine, so not so cool. I wasn't keen at all but he convinced me and now I am a complete convert. They are great. We have had our own eggs every day for 3 years and they are so entertaining to watch around the garden. he has now borrowed a broody hen to come sit on 6 of our eggs so we are waiting to see if any hatch. He is now 12 and as fascinated as ever, and he is pretty cool too!

28/6/08 4:16 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Agway in Waltham, behind Demo's will likely sell the fee, they sell chicks and the waterers, etc.
I am jealous, I have always wanted my own chickens!

28/6/08 7:09 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Jo,

I was thinking of you when he first told us about the chickens. I was like "hmmmm, maybe we can make a trade with Jo... FRESH eggs for some fabulous concoction that will make me drool." I'm all about the barter!

I had NO clue there was an Agway back there. Where the old RMV was?

I'm going today to look at the chicks.

28/6/08 7:36 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

Very cool. This shows he is mature enough to take care of something. As long as he doesn't, uh, use the chickens in ritual sacrifices or anything.

28/6/08 8:08 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Aargh! Ritual sacrifices! I knew there was something. Let's hope it's just for the eggs....

29/6/08 10:14 PM  
Blogger liz said...

I'm very impressed that he got the permits and neighbor okay without actually asking his parents.

30/6/08 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.