HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tossing and turning all night

I'm a wicked insomniac, which I've documented about 10 million times. Believe me, there is little more to say about the fact that my sleep is so screwed up that I can barely function much of the time. You don't want to read it and I don't want to repeat myself ad nauseum because really, what is there to say besides "I didn't fall asleep last night."

Last night was one of those nights but I decided instead of even making an attempt to sleep, I'd just get stuff done that I've been meaning to do, but really haven't had the energy. You see, I have more energy around 3 am than I do the rest of the day. Weird? You betcha!

So first I cleaned the kitchen. The Girl is supposed to do it, but the job she does is so bad, so negligent, so ridiculous that I honestly can't even call it cleaning. It's more moving dirt from one spot to another, forgetting to wash half the dishes, and doing a craptastic job with the ones she does wash. Now, I had just spent two hours cleaning the kitchen the night before last, but with the Boy in the house 24/7, it's similar to living with an entire army unit. He's that much of a slob. He actually THROWS stuff on the floor rather than to walk two steps to the garbage can. It's bad, people. Bad.

So first I clean up the sink and the counters and then I get all industrious and clean those stupid little vents in the oven that are right behind the handle so you can NEVER get them really clean without spending hours with Q-tips. Which is, of course, just what I did. My middle name is Anal.
I scrub all the woodwork, and I do a quick sweep and mop of the floor and the kitchen is looking good.

And then I start baking. Does this make sense? Well, when you have a teeny tiny kitchen (our kitchen actually isn't small at all, but it was designed in 1920 and it hasn't changed much since then, so we've got MAYBE 6" of counter space counting the kitchen sink.) In other words, I can't cook if it isn't clean first.

I made some delicious oatmeal maple scones with a maple drizzle on top, very similar (but better) than the ones in Starbucks. Then I baked a loaf of whole wheat bread because the Girl had used up the last of the loaf I made yesterday. Because the oatmeal scones looked so good and because I'm a lover of scones, which are so freaking easy to make, I then made up a batch of lemon poppy seed scones.

One can't eat scones without coffee, so I opened a brand new can of Sumatra dark roast, ground the beans, made a pot of French press and then drank the entire pot. All this before 8 am this morning. Now I'm trying to figure out what to bake next. :-) I started going through my cook books and started thinking about making this huge cake that is in Dorie Greenspan's new baking book, but alas, we have no chocolate, only cocoa. So more cookbook perusing is in my immediate future.

I cleaned up the kitchen again after I finished baking, sat down for about 5 minutes and then popped up again. I'm in kitchen frenzy mode. As soon as the bread is finished, I'm going to pop in another batch, maybe of oatmeal or challah. One can't have too many carbs around with the teenagers at home.

I pulled out a slab of beef from the freezer that I had forgotten was in there and planned to make it for dinner tonight with roasted herbed sweet potatoes and whatever veg I can find in the freezer.

And lastly... I made two batches of pizza dough which I put in the freezer.

Good God, stop me now before I bake again!

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

WOW. That's a lot of middle-of-the-night baking. And your maple-oatmeal scones sound so good, it's making me wish my kitchen were all unpacked and stocked so I could bake!

28/6/08 9:59 AM  
Blogger Domestic Sensualist said...

Please send me the scone and pizza dough recipes. Yum.

28/6/08 12:17 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I call it "reclaiming the kitchen", and I have to do it before baking anything, too. Our house was built in 1890, and it has a tiny kitchen.

28/6/08 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.