HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 18, 2008

BlogNot: Social Activism

Well, shiver me timbers, I'm pissed as hell today. It's Karen's fault. She sent me this link and we've had a bit of back and forth about how she's censored because she carries BlogHer ads and they essentially censor anyone that speaks up against them. Ahem. So I realized I don't carry Blogher ads on this blog anymore. No I don't. Because I speak up often about what a joke that organization is. Now, I recall that last year I was all hot and bothered during BlogHer because I was doing Blogathon raising money for Children's Hospital in Boston. A worthy cause by anyone's standards. It was my second year doing Blogathon, and I raised a lot of money both years. But what I mostly remember, what TOTALLY pissed me off, is that of all the money I raised, none of it came from BlogHer people. None. Not a penny.

Now that pissed me off because first of all, charity vs nail polish? Come on, people. Charity vs shoes? Charity vs anything to do with that stupid joke of a 'convention'. You have GOT to be kidding.

Another blogger who does Blogathon every year shared with me her frustration about this as well. She was pretty damned furious in fact that the Blogher bitches couldn't fork over a penny for charities (I think she raises money for cerebral palsy, which her son suffers from) but they could hand over their visa cards for anything pertaining to furthering their social climb up the blogging ladder of 'success'. Because you know, they're brands and they monetize their blogs and talk all sorts of stupid useless marketeer speech. I do not know why nobody has clued them in that marketeers are the lowest form of people.

So that was last year and this year I've just given up on the whole BlogHer phenom because it's like kudzu... you can't kill it but you know that it's strangling the people that belong to it.

And then Karen's email came and I'm on the warpath again. Because this time it's not me that is hurting. I don't expect one damn thing from anyone associated with BlogHer. I've learned that a shallower bunch of women doesn't exist on this planet. I don't WANT to be their friends. Personally, I think anyone that falls for Lisa Stone's lines is a complete Moron with a capital M. She's the biggest shyster out there, she's reaping the benefits of BlogHer stupidity, and she's laughing all the way to the bank while serious social climbers and self promoters shill for the organization in the hopes that someone will notice her.

Karen's email was about Clusterfook. Her cancer is not responding to treatment. In fact, the doctors have stopped the chemo. She is dying. DYING. She will be leaving her daughters without a mother and a mountain of medical debts to inherit. This is her third bout of cancer. The doctors she has been to have almost killed her, have made serious mistakes in her treatment, and now are abandoning her. It is terribly horribly sad. Really, go read her posts. Learn about this brave courageous woman.

Now what does she have to do with Blogher? A lot, it turns out. BlogHer turned her blog DOWN for BlogHer ads. Because she's got a mouth and an opinion, and as I've said, BlogHer doesn't like that at all. They censor people.

Additionally, she needs help. Help she is NOT getting from Guess Who? Why, the BlogHers. In fact, a Blogher bigshot said that she would hook Clusterfook up with a PR person so her story could get out there. And guess what happened? When said PR person couldn't use her, he disappeared. But only after giving her the third degree about her illness, her treatments and her bills. NICE. Jeremy Pepper, the PR guy from hell, promised her that they would bring this up at BlogHer in order to help her raise money to offset her medical bills. And he lied. To a dying woman. Because it wouldn't further their rise to fame and fortune.

Lisa at Clusterfook needs help. There is no other way to say it. She needs YOUR help. I've done what I can, but I'm one person with a limited amount of resources. But you guys aren't. You know doctors and have places for her to stay. She needs to find a hospital that will take on her case. She's been turned down by a lot of places already. You might have a bit of extra cash, or can send her flowers or a treat. She needs the support of a blogging community that believes in helping more than dressing up and drinking all night long.

Please take the button above and put it on your blog. I know it's ugly, but I'm out of time and I wanted a button out there, no matter what. Link it to Lisa's donation button, so all one has to do is click on the button to get to her.

Code for button is in comments.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

18 Comments:

Blogger NotAMeanGirl said...

I can't figure out how to get the button to put on my blog!!!! HELP!!!!

Great post BTW!

18/7/08 9:05 PM  
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I don't know if you remember...a friend of mine died of cancer last year. He was very young and left behind a wife and two young children. His wife is now doing mentoring and advocacy work with cancer patients and their families. I'm going to forward this link to her and see if she can help. If nothing else, maybe she can offer a kind word and some support.

18/7/08 10:24 PM  
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

Oops, also meant to say, that it's a TRAVESTY that someone dying of cancer should have to be worrying about putting food on the table. The priorities in this country sicken me sometimes.

18/7/08 10:25 PM  
Blogger CharmingDriver said...

Where is the code for the button?

18/7/08 10:28 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

I didn't post the code for the button, but I will in a minute. Check back for it.

M

18/7/08 10:59 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Button code follows: *a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29049126@N00/2680891007/" title="clusterfook by margalitc, on Flickr"*
*img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/2680891007_fb2c8323d5_m.jpg" width="240" height="197" alt="clusterfook" /* */a>*

where the * need to be replaced by angle brackets < >

18/7/08 11:07 PM  
Blogger Crazed Mom said...

I put up the button and a berry short post directing folks here to your post. Hope you don't mind...:P

19/7/08 1:28 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

If I was that type of gal, I'd marry you.

This post says everything I could not get from brain to fingers.

19/7/08 5:41 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I found you from Crazed Mom's blog - this child needs to find an HONEST lawyer (there are a few) and sue the bejesus out of all those idiot doctors who misdiagnosed her all those years. Even here in the back end of podunk, a friend of ours successfully sued the doctor who overlooked her STAGE 3 breast cancer, getting enough to pay all of her medical expenses AND buy a new house. Normally I don't believe in litigation, but this is intolerable. I will try to scrounge up some cash.

19/7/08 9:01 AM  
Blogger ...e... said...

thing is, and i truly mean this in the very best possible way, your post is upside down: you need to move the cancer stuff up above the cut and move the blogher stuff down. otherwise, lots won't ever see what you need them to see, which would be a shame.

and about blogher? they are a marketing organization, period. as do all marketing organizations, they exploit the vulnerabilities of their target market in order to sell to it. in this case, it's mommybloggers who want to be released from their wheels for a weekend and feel reassured that they are being cool and empowered (not to BE empowered) in the process. rants like yours, therefore, while true, only work against you and FOR blogher by challenging this market's own selfimage, which in turn does not make them happy. and there's nothing wrong with their dionysian weekend, per se, really, it's just a big party, after all. but bloher (sic) the organization is no different from, say, GM the organization, which spent the last decade selling the same market SUVs. you wouldn't expect anything else from GM, would you?

19/7/08 10:20 AM  
Blogger Suzette said...

Did I read correctly on that linked post that the person in question used previous donations to take her family to Disney World?

19/7/08 12:17 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Suzette, if a dying mom took her family to Disney, I'd support her. My close friend (with stage 3 breast cancer) used an inheritance to take her family to Mexico to make memories, rather than invest the money and make a will. I would want that.

19/7/08 3:03 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Wow, what a great post. Good for you for bringing such a controversial subject to the table.

19/7/08 3:43 PM  
Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

Suzette - it was her dying wish. We rallied around her to do it, yes. And I will continue to support her.

Thanks for writing this M. I hope the focus on Lisa continues!

19/7/08 4:18 PM  
Blogger sss said...

You know what else is sickening about "blogheregress" is the bragging about all the alcohol and out right drunkeness.it sounds like a bunch of repressed women searching for their lost college years.Is mommyhood so bad that everyone needs to escape to blogher to get loaded and blog about how many drinks they can down,times they almost passed out and plain just irresponsible drunken behavior?.blogher seems to be a "frat like" popularity contest.every blog i have visited has woman gleefully expounding on how shitfaced they are and how they are making fools of themselves. come on. I can party with the best of them but really...time to grow up and quit following the "IN CROWD" so freakin unoriginal they are with their repetitive posts. sorry I sound so bitter but having just read 6 posts with giddy girls writing about being fallen down drunk is just plain annoying.

Im so sorry to read about your friends cancer.may god give her and her love ones strength.

19/7/08 5:21 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

I have to agree about the public drunkenness and I have to wonder about the liability that Blogher undertakes allowing that kind of behavior. I know in my state it is VERY difficult to get permits for those kinds of parties unless the organization can guarantee that the drinking parties keep it inside. They don't allow public drunkenness and nobody thinks it's particularly amusing when someone is hurt or killed because of drunkeness.

Never mind that it appears completely pathetic that people have to BRAG about how shitfaced they are. I mean, it's on the internet, peeps. Where your bosses, your pastor, your inlaws, and everyone else involved in your life can read it. Potential employers don't want to read this crap.

19/7/08 10:47 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Margalit, thank you very much for your support. I really appreciate it.

Just to clarify to Suzette...there was a fund raiser for my family so that I could take my children to Disney. At the time I was still working and had no idea I was going to get laid off. When I came back from the trip I was told my job was going to be cut. Ironically I was let go four days before I start chemotherapy. Had I known I was going to lose my job I wouldn't have used the money for a trip.

What I also didn't anticipate was that the temp agency I was working for would contest unemployment compensation. I have been filing appeal after appeal and now have to appear in court on July 30th. In the meantime there is no income other than donations...kind donations from people in the blogging community.

Never in my life would I think I'd be in this kind of financial position but I'm very grateful to everyone who is helping me to pay for medical treatment, gas and food.

20/7/08 8:29 PM  
OpenID chloefieri said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

21/7/08 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.