HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's official!

Today is my birthday. I am old.

Now, many people post on their birthday saying "oh, I'm over the hill, I'm 27 today." Or 32, 39, 40, 41...

Whenever I read these posts, bleating about how the world is passing them by, they feel ancient, they haven't done anything with their lives, etc. I kinda crack up. I don't think I've ever been one to freak out about my birthday or how old I am. I just kinda take it. I'm old. Deal with it.

I'm 56 today.

See, old!

Totally fine with it.

I like being this age. Oh, the body is wearing out. My knees kill me, I groan and grunt when I get up off the sofa, my hair is gray and so are my eyebrows, my skin gets dryer every month, and let's face it, gravity has not been kind.

But that's just my body. Most of the time my mind is still pretty damn sharp, I get more clever every year, my knowledge base keeps growing, I'm way more accepting and open than I ever have been, and I do much more for my friends and neighbors than I ever had in the past. My people skills are vastly improved. I speak my mind without fear, and without any real caring about how others might handle my opinions. OK, that might need a bit of working on, but really, I'm pretty damn happy with who I am and what my life is like.

I have regrets. Plenty of them. But I refuse to let them affect me negatively anymore. I don't blame my parents or my high school trauma or even past relationships for souring me on people and misbehavior on my part. What happened in my past stays in my past. I'm a grownup now.

My birthday celebrations are usually very quiet. I don't like parties and haven't had one in forever and ever. This morning I'll go to the Museum of Fine Arts with a friend, and we'll see the El Greco to Velazquez blockbuster show. We'll probably have lunch and then I'll go home and see the kids. My friend who has just asked for a divorce is coming to dinner, which I'm cooking. It's fine, I like to cook. She's bringing a cake.

Nothing outrageous. Just another quiet birthday at home. Where I'm 56 and doing great.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

OpenID cahwyguy said...

Expect your LJ post tomorrow morning (my time). It's all queued up and ready to go.

10/7/08 11:41 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Oh goodie. I can't wait!

11/7/08 1:41 AM  
Blogger Bunny B said...

Happy Birthday! :)

11/7/08 2:30 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

I've always thought there is a certain freedom and relief in getting older...granted I am younger than you are yet, but I like my age now, and I'll like it next year, and the year after that. Each year I care less about what I look like and more about what's on the inside. If that isn't getting wiser with age, I don't know what is!

Happy birthday, Margalit! I am glad you're here making my blog reader a bit more interesting! :-)

11/7/08 2:41 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

Happy birthday!

I'm one of those 39 year olds who's written a "it's my birthday and..." post, but at least so far I'm pretty happy with who I'm becoming, no complaining here.

11/7/08 6:39 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I love your attitude. I am a newly minted 50 year old.

11/7/08 8:17 AM  
Blogger Shash said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Hope you have a fantastic day!

11/7/08 8:29 AM  
Blogger Jendeis said...

Congrats dear! Happy birthday!

11/7/08 9:13 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Hope you have a great birthday!

11/7/08 9:14 AM  
Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

Happy Birthday!

12/7/08 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.