HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Over the shoulder boulder holders

Let's talk about bras. Gentlemen, you can leave now if you do not want to read about the wonderful world of my boobs. I know you're dying to know all about them, but believe me, they are not all that interesting. There now, you have permission to leave if you want.

OK, with that out of the way, I'm going to complain about the state of my boobs and their lack of available boob coverage.

I lost weight. Of course that means that my already shrunken boobs shrunk even more, leaving them pancake flat but still fairly large. They point south at the best of times, and they have absolutely no shape left in them. Big empty bags of flesh. Not attractive at all, but they are relatively healthy and still on my chest so I'm thankful for what I have.

Except that the manufacturers of bras do not believe women come in my size. Honestly, they do not make a bra that fits me. You would think that someone somewhere would say, "Hey, we manufacture bras... maybe we ought to make a style or two to fit someone with a large band size but not huge boobs." Because that's what I need.

The largest band size in most bras is a 42. That is not large enough for me. Then, when you move up to the Queen Size bras, they have bands that go up to a 50, which is large enough for me, but the cup sizes start at a DD. I am nowhere near a DD. At this juncture I'd say I'm a strong C. I have some D cups, but they are too large for me.

I've used a back extender, however when you use that, you also lose the integrity of the style, meaning the straps tend to fall down your shoulders leaving your bra useless. What I want is a bra that is large enough across the back and small enough to fit my shrunken boobs. Is that too much to ask?

Every time I read about a new wonder bra, I check the sizes available and it's always the same story. The new Spanx bra, the one everyone swears is the most comfortable bra in the world? Largest back size is a 42. I can't get one. I want comfort. I want to have a normal bra like everyone else does. I'm tired of wearing cheesy crappy bras from Lane Bryant that never fit right.

The thing is, if I'm having this problem and I'm not that much outside of the norm, what do people do who are fat and flat? There have to be plenty of women out there that wear strange sizes (according to bra manufacturers). Where the hell do they get bras? Does everyone end up having custom bras made at around $200 a pop? Who can afford that?

I hate bras. They are always so uncomfortable. When I wear one, the minute I get home I have to whip mine off and do the under-the-boob scratch for about 5 minutes. It feels sooooo good to just get under there and scratch the hell out of the itchy spot where the elastic has been pulling at my skin. If my boobs weren't so floppy and large, I'd never wear a bra at all. But that's not only not particularly modest, it's also not great for my appearance. I want to find some comfortable bras that don't cost an arm and a leg and feel like they're actually giving me support.

I've tried the Wacoal bras, which are fairly comfortable when they are new, but then become itchy and less comfortable as the elastic starts to wear. I don't put them in the dryer, but the elastic tends to wear rather quickly on the band. Plus, the cost! Oh my, the cost is outrageous for that little tiny bit of fabric.

I just don't get why bras have to be so bothersome. Can't someone invent something more comfortable that a strangling elastic band around your chest? I mean, that can't be good for your lungs, can it? We can send people to the moon, why can't we have a more comfortable garment for holding up the boobage?

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

11 Comments:

Blogger Rhea said...

I hate bras so much that I refuse to wear one, and haven't worn one for most of my adult life. I soooo hear you.

31/7/08 12:40 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Lane Bryant bras suck. They are expensive and fall apart after two uses...

The best expereinces I have ever had with bras are Playtex. I have two right now that I love and cherish and only wash on delicat...lol. They are underwire (personal preference), but they also have this great gel thing on the straps. My shoulders are gel'in all day long...lol.

They fit perfectly. I am a big girl (40DD) so I have a hard time finding bras myself... I don't know what size these particular bras go to.... I got them at Penneys' though... good luck :)

31/7/08 12:50 PM  
OpenID chloefieri said...

Not sure why this should be so hard, but here you go:
http://www.barenecessities.com/catalog.asp?drv=&nxs=31&style=8&vendor=&price=&size=1113
Also, DaveJ, who used to post on misc.kids sews custom bras. You could get in touch with him.

31/7/08 1:47 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Amen. I don't mind wearing bras, but why is finding the right one such a pain? Before I had my daughter I was a small cup size but a larger-than-average band size. It wasn't THAT far out of the norm, but it was next to impossible to find bras in that size that didn't cost fifty bucks each and had to be special-ordered. That's far from a $200 custom-made bra, I will admit, but it was still such a pain. I am very happy that pregnancy left me with a larger cup size so I don't have to get mad while bra-shopping anymore. Well...not AS mad. Bra shopping is still annoying!

31/7/08 1:51 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I've had good luck with Champion. I am the opposite of you, though - I need a large cup size and (relatively) small back size. It's bigger now because I'm overweight. But try Champion; they're comfortable and they last.

31/7/08 2:30 PM  
Blogger Jendeis said...

I don't think the Lane Bryant bras are bad at all. I use most for about 2-3 years.

They go from 38-44, and from Bs to DDDs. I think it's worth looking into them, especially since they are sooooo much cheaper than the really expensive large-size Wacoal bras.

31/7/08 2:38 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Here's one.

And here's another.

They only go down to B, though. You might find more links on the pretty pear.

31/7/08 3:02 PM  
OpenID cahwyguy said...

Silly question: Have you tried Creative Woman? I know they are out here in Monrovia, but that is where my wife sends anyone in the hard to fit category... and I'm pretty sure that they ship.

31/7/08 7:36 PM  
Blogger Sassy said...

I have been buying my bras over the internet since I turned 18. I just cannot find decent, reasonably priced bras in my size.

I've tried a few places online but mostly shop at http://www.hipsandcurves.com/

I had a quick look and saw two 50's in C's - the fabulous four way bra and the essential everyday tshirt bra (which I have). Just make sure to measure yourself with their sizing guide as I found they were a more generous cut than I was used to.

31/7/08 10:18 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Sassy, I checked out hips and curves. They do have some bras in my weird size. They also have some VERY interesting other stuff. I have a feeling I might be ordering from them. :-)

31/7/08 11:26 PM  
Blogger liz said...

Also, ask at a bridal shop. The yentas at those places often know of good sources for bras and other undergarments in all sizes.

2/8/08 7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.