HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We Don't Want YOU!

This evening the phone rang and the Boy answered it. He proceeded to have a fairly straight forward conversation with whomever called, answering yes, no, I don't think so, not right now, etc. He was polite, but from his tone I could tell it was both an authority figure and someone he didn't really know.

He got off the phone and I asked him who it was.

An army recruiter, he told me.

WTF? I mean really!

First, I've signed a paper every single year at school saying that I do not allow any contact between my son and the military.

Second, my son is fifteen. FIFTEEN. He is not old enough to go into the service, and should not even be contacted.

Third, my son has a documented mental illness that would and will keep him out of the military. Say what you will about bipolar disorder, this is one of the few GOOD things for kids that have it.

I was pretty damn pissed that the army called. My son was nice and polite and didn't really tell the guy to fuck off, which kinda disappointed me. That means they'll call back. Hopefully I'll be the person that answers that call, because I'm not about to let this go without letting the military know where they made a grievous error.

I know the military recruit out of high school. I'm not a complete idiot. But the schools in our city have taken a proactive view of recruiting and don't allow military recruiters to speak to any kid that hasn't been given specific permission by parents or guardians. Believe me, I did not give any permission, nor would I ever. Kids this age aren't able to make the kind of life altering decisions on their own. At least my kids aren't.

While I'm not completely anti-military, there is no way on God's earth that I would allow a child of mine to go and fight in this illegal and immoral war. We're not supporters of the war in any way, shape or kind. I'm not a fool. I know that the country was lied to and manipulated into falling for the Bush crap. I never fell for it. I've always been against the war.

This doesn't mean that I don't support the people fighting this stupid war. I do. I am sad that they have been sent to be maimed and even killed for what? I want them to have better health care upon their return. I want them to get decent GI benefits. I want their families to be cared for while they are overseas. I think it's wrong that military wives are resorting to becoming surrogates in order to have enough money to live while their spouses are deployed.

However, I would not sacrifice one of my children to fight this particular battle. This battle. Not another battle. I would fight to the end of my life for the State of Israel. I believe that Israel's survival as the unique democratic state in the Middle East is necessary. If my children were to join the Israeli army, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. If my children were to join the armed forces to fight an evil like Hitler, I wouldn't be completely against it. My father, after all, was a decorated WW2 veteran. But to fight for oil? And to make more money for Halliburton? I think not.

So military recruiters, you are on notice. You don't get to talk to my kids. You don't get to try and entice my kids with the promise of money and training after high school. Maybe someone else will fall for your charms, but not our family. We're not stupid. We know what this is all about.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Always Home and Uncool said...

I guess this is their idea of domestic stealth tactics. Army of One, my eye!

30/7/08 9:27 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Let's see, there was the plumber who offered to sing the radio jingle (we declined), then told my daughter she should join the army for the college money in the GI bill (we were looking over scholarships at the kitchen table while he worked). Later that night a recruiter called her. Luckily for the plumber, it was a total coincidence.

30/7/08 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.