HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

WFMW: Taming the Remote Control Beast

We have way too many remote controls in our living room. There's 2 for the TV (a big one for me because I can't read the little one), one for the stereo, one for the DVD player, one for the VCR, one for the air conditioner and one for the XBox. That would be 7 remotes that live in one small room. With two teenagers who do not know the meaning of "put things where they belong". I tried a plethora of things to keep the remotes all in the same place.

First was the basket that sat atop the tv. Worthless. It kept falling down and when we got the flat screen it didn't work at all.

Then we tried putting the basket next to the TV on the stand. Again, worthless. Nobody put the remotes there because it meant getting up and walking to the TV, which defeated the point of the whole thing.

Then I got a lamp that had small shelves, and I designated the middle shelf for the remotes. Nobody ever remembered to put them there and one or more ended up lost in the couch cushions. Very frustrating.

Then my son suggested that we put a big bowl on the coffee table and keep the remotes there. I was dubious, but we tried it and so far, so good. I replaced a plain old bowl with a more attractive fish bowl and it is working! The remotes are where we can find them, the bowl looks cute on the table, the whole thing cost a big $7, and everyone is happy.

It totally works for me.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger CityStreams said...

Great idea! My Hubster always puts the remote ON TOP of the TV. Drives me nuts. You sit down with a plate of hot lasagna and a Coke to have a TV dinner, and there's no remote. I like the idea of a cute bowl on the coffee table much better!

8/7/08 11:37 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

So cute! My daughter and her roommate need a bowl like this. They are always losing the remotes in their apartment.

9/7/08 9:06 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh, very cool fishy. Not only is he cute, he's functional!

9/7/08 9:11 AM  
Blogger Kirby3131 said...

I love fish platters - I have several myself. Thankfully we only have two remotes, but they reside on the arm of the couch, next to me :^)

If I could find the top of my coffeetable, that is where I would ultimately like for them to go. I'll totally steal the fish platter idea when I get that far.

Thanks so much!
Kristin

9/7/08 1:03 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Love the fish bowl.

We're still doing okay with the remotes in a basket - but it occurs to me every time I grab one that I don't even know what half of those remotes actually control.

9/7/08 3:11 PM  
Blogger The Momster said...

That's a great idea - I think we've tried just about everything out there ...but a bowl!

Thanks!

10/7/08 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.