HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Blogging and working do not mix well

I have no time to read blogs anymore. I am ignoring everyone and I feel terrible about it. I'm going to go through my bloglines this weekend and trim way back because I can't do it anymore and I'm sorry if it's your blog that has to be cut, but I can't read this many blogs anymore. Because I am working and work is hard and tiring and well, somewhat boring. My job requires a lot of thought but very little creativity. The best part is that all the other people working at the same time have to IM each other and that can be very entertaining if we have a particularly funny request come in.

While I am ignoring my online life, my real live life continues to take up way more energy than I want to give out some days. Like today. Two different crisises, two different kids. Let's start with the Boy.

Yesterday he came home complaining that his knee was bothering him. He has complained on and off about a sore knee since he was about 8, but this time I could see he really was in pain. I looked at his hairy legs and sure enough, swollen knee. I gave him iburpofan and told him to ice it, which of course he refused to do. When he finally got out of bed at 5:00 pm mumble o'clock, his knee buckled and it was really painful. Again I looked, and it was still swollen, so we got in the car and headed over to the NW ER. After several hours of waiting, but with excellent decorating magazines to keep us entertained, we were finally seen. X-rays confirmed what I already thought: the boy has inherited my family's horrible knees. His father had knee surgery, I've had a knee replacement, both of my parents had knee surgery. And it looks like the Boy got the bad knee genes.

After close examination he was referred to an orthopedist, and the ER doctor implied that there would be laproscopic surgery in his future. Looks like a torn medial meniscus. BTDT. He got one of those foamy velcro cast things, and now he's like a bull in a china shop. He's never been all that coordinated, but this is just ridiculous. He's falling all over the place. I think he's milking it for all he can. :-)

The other crisis of the day involved the Girl. She went to her first day of job training at Panera where she found out several things that have her in panic mode. First, she can only wear two earrings in each ear. OMG, the cruelty. She's positive her ears are going to close up so she's got a whole plan about changing earrings in the bathroom.

Don't even bother. I tried to talk to her. Hello Brick Wall?

Second, she has to try every single thing on the menu. Even Lobster. She told them she wouldn't eat the lobster, and being in JewVille, they didn't press it. But there are foods she's never put in her mouth on the menu there. She's a VERY picky eater. I think this will be good for her. Today they started her on the bread, and she brought home a half of a baguette. Boy was that good! She liked it a lot because it was a carb product. She eats most carbs. Not much else though.

Third, and this was the kicker. She has to get dark solid color polo shirts, a belt, and plain dark pants. No jeans. You would think the end of the world is nigh. The child has a big Gift Cert that she got for her B'day and she hit not one, but two Marshalls and couldn't find ONE THING. Nope, not one polo shirt, not one pair of pants.

Now, if you believe this, let me sell you a bridge I know of in NY.

So I sat down with her and had a bit of a chat. I explained how nobody cared what she looked like, they cared what their food looked like. They didn't care if her pants were gorgeous as long as they were clean. Since they are work clothes, you get the cheapest stuff you can find, so you can just toss it in the washer and not worry about it. Get BOY polo shirts. They fit better than girl's shirts. Get plain dark khakis. Nothing fancy. Nothing that you care if it get's dirty.

Of course she thinks I'm nuts, but I don't care. I'm not falling for this crapola. She gets a couple of pairs of pants and a few polos, and then when she starts getting a paycheck she can get cute clothes for school.

Plus, you should have heard her on taxes. She was incredulous that they will take taxes out of her check. It was so funny. It's like she's never even considered the ramifications of actually having a job. Following rules, wearing what the dress code demands, etc.

She'll be fine once she settles down. She had to read an employee handbook and I swear, it was the first thing I've seen her read all summer. I was shocked that she read it. I really was.

So, if you are in the area, stop at Panera and tell her how cute she looks in her polo shirt and without all those damn earrings! I'm sure she'd love it.

Labels: , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Gary McGath said...

"Plus, you should have heard her on taxes. She was incredulous that they will take taxes out of her check."

Good for her. It's just taken for granted today that the government takes our money before we ever see it, before the amount of its tax claim on us has even been calculated. We're simply supposed to accept it like good serfs.

A few more people like her, and the country might improve.

28/8/08 6:23 AM  
Blogger Me said...

The part about our daughter was hilarious..changing earrings...too cute...you can read this back to hear when she's graduating college...it will be a great mother daughter moment...too funny. :)

28/8/08 7:39 AM  
Blogger Ranchmom said...

From ranchmom (for some reason, I can't get logged in to comment with my name)

Congrats to the Girl on getting a job! E. worked this past summer at a small bed and breakfast hotel. Wardrobe-wise, she had it made; no uniform, just wear clean, decent-looking clothes and as many earrings as you like (she only has two in each ear, so it's good to know she could work at Panera ;*).

I think the whole obsession with wardrobe is kind of cute at this age. After years of not caring what she wore, she really really cares now. S. suddenly cares too, go figure.

28/8/08 8:41 AM  
Blogger FJ said...

Well, your daughter not reading all summer except an employee handbook is a problem in and of itself. In regard to the issue of how good she looks when making my bagel or sandwich, that's a societal problem. Plenty of people feel like they have to be fashionable whenever they step out the door, because our idiotic consumer culture brainwashes people into passive aggressive behavior, like yelling at the TV at American Idol or wearing designer pants when going for a run. Show her that materialism is bad and eventually she won't worry so much about how her pants look with chicken salad all over them - remind her she's in food service!

28/8/08 9:15 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Lynda, I can't imagine E and S being clothes horses. All those years of dirty jeans from riding horses! And now, fashion plates. That's too cute. They are such great kids. I remembering sending S that big box of clothes when she was teeny and how fashionable she was back then. :-)

Say hi to the family from me and the G's.

28/8/08 1:21 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I love that she's taking the job seriously enough that she read the manual. The clothes? The first time she spills something she'll realize that cheap and washable is the way to go.

28/8/08 4:43 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

I was HORRIFIED to learn that not only did I have to pay taxes at my first job but ALSO union dues because I worked at a union grocery store.

Fortunately, my union dues were always refunded to me as I didn't work enough hours to require representation (or insurance) but I remember them being $58 every 3 months and that was a TON of money to 16 year old Rhiannon.

28/8/08 6:00 PM  
Blogger BSumner said...

mmm.. Panera. Love the Broc/Cheddar soup.

28/8/08 11:09 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Bsummer, that is the ONLY thing my daughter will eat when she's at Panera. Really, the ONLY thing. In a bread bowl.

29/8/08 12:27 AM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Oh, the Boy's poor knee! That's not a fun surgery from what I have seen and heard. I hope he improves quickly.

I remember getting my first job when I was 14 (in a public library) and how annoyed I was that I couldn't wear shorts. Also how amazed I was that I was going to make almost FOUR WHOLE DOLLARS an hour, because up to that point in my life the most I'd ever made baby-sitting was two bucks an hour, and that was a lot of money to me.

29/8/08 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.