HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, August 15, 2008

Michael Phelps: Man or Bionic Swimming Robot

What is it with Michael Phelps? He seems like a nice guy, a sportsman, a decent fellow. His mother and sisters are his biggest fans. He appears to be well adjusted albeit a person that eats 12,000 calories a day. Can you IMAGINE?

But this need to win every single medal in the Olympics? It's kinda bothering me. Oh, I love winning. I'm big on contests and being competitive and all, but at some point is it too much? Does he really NEED 8 gold medals? What is he going to do with his grand total of 14 medals? How do you even display that much gold?

I think what bothers me is that I know that if I were up against him, I would give up because really, what's the point? Nobody else can win against him. I think that at some point he becomes a deterrent to other competitors. How can someone do their best time and time again knowing that they can't ever win?

Maybe at some point there needs to be a limit on the amount of medals that one person can win in one sport. Is 8 too much? I think so. Is 5 too few? I don't know. But when one athlete takes over the games, it doesn't feel sportsmanlike to me. It almost feels like Phelps is a bully of sorts.

The thing is, he's really really good. He is born to win. That's obvious. But when does it become kind of sour? When does it feel almost like it's rigged (it obviously isn't, but I bet it feels like that to other competitors)? When does it feel like "what's the point of competing against Phelps"?

I don't have any answers. But I know if I were Phelp's mom Debbie I would be so proud of him. And if I were the mom of any other guy competing against him, I would be plotting some injury to knock him out of competition. Just kidding. But I would be pretty damn annoyed knowing that MY baby doesn't have a chance next to that robot.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger yellojkt said...

I live in Baltimore and know people that know Phelps. He's a big goofy klutz out of the water. There, does that make him human?

15/8/08 11:30 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I'm still reeling from the news that Mark Spitz is now a spokesperson for Botox. Ouch.

16/8/08 1:43 PM  
OpenID chloefieri said...

There are plenty of men's events in swimming that Michael Phelps didn't even qualify for. Other mamas' babies will get their chance, provided.

16/8/08 4:39 PM  
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I think the thing that drives people to succeed above all others is the wish to be immortal. To always be remembered. To matter.

Phelps has cemented his place in history. And years after he is dead and gone, people will still know his name.

That said, I agree with a lot of what you said. It must make some of the other athletes feel a little hopeless.

16/8/08 6:48 PM  
Blogger BSumner said...

The dude is a fish. He makes me cry. LOL That's what he went to China for.. to win! And Costas just said Phelps will be back in 2012 in London.

16/8/08 11:16 PM  
Blogger Karen Sugarpants said...

I don't think there should be limits. Let the best person win - whether it's 1 medal or 50.
I bet his Mom is proud too!

17/8/08 11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.