HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Oh what a night!

Every once in a while, things just happen that are wicked cool. Not planned, but just one thing on top of another and your whole night is wicked excellent. Like tonight. Totally awesome.

First a friend invited me to a wine and chocolate tasting at Lindt Chocolates in Back Bay. I actually put on nice clothes and everything. I picked her up in Cambridge at her workplace and we flew over the bridge to Back Bay. Circling around Boylston St. we found our destination and there was miraculously a parking space right across the side street. Unfortunately, there was also a woman standing in the space, so I asked her to move so I could park. She was very unhappy to do so, saying that she was saving the space for her husband. OK. I showed her my handicap parking tag and told her that the 4 handicap spaces right around the corner were all filled with... guess what? Come on, you know. Cars without handicap placards. Oh yeah. Nothing that warms my heart more than that. So the lady was totally ticked when I told her that she just couldn't hold a spot, and that I needed to park there. She said something totally awesome. "You're taking advantage of that tag." Yeah, because I like to actually park my car and be able to get to my destination without dying. At that point I didn't care and scooted right into the space. My friend and I were just waiting for her to say the dreaded, "You don't LOOK handicapped!" but at least she didn't say that. I did offer to exchange hearts with her, though.


We went to the Lindt store and there were two experts, one on chocolate and one on wine. They made presentations to teach us how to taste the chocolate, and how to pair it with certain wines. They first gave us a coconut white chocolate with an Anime Pink Prosecco, a dry rosy sparkling wine. It was very dry and paired well with the chocolate, which was too sweet for my taste.

Then we moved onto milk chocolate and Cugnexio Moseato d'Asti. This was by far the most delicious dessert wine I've ever tasted. I had thirds. I know! It was a sweet, fruit based wine that had undertones of apricots. It was REALLY good.

Lastly, we had a 70% dark chocolate with Cycles Gladiator Cabernet Sauvignon. The chocolate was really good with a lot of fruity flavors as it melted on the tongue, but the wine? I didn't like the pairing that much. I found the wine too dry for my taste, and a bit dusty. But I'm not a fan of the cabernet as much as other red wines. I don't have a highly developed palate for wines, mostly because my wine of choice is Three Buck Chuck.

I took my friend back to Cambridge and booked it home. When I got there, Ringo was outside which is forbidden, and nobody was home. The Girl left a note, the Boy did not. I changed out of my clothing and sat down to get some work done and the Girl and her friend came back soon after, both absolutely hysterical because they ran into Insane dad and daughter....again. They wanted to go out to dinner, but ID and D were at the same place so they came home instead. They asked me to take them to dinner and friend offered to treat us, so we went off to Panera, which is pretty much the only thing open that late around here.


At Panera we had such a good time, laughing and making funny jokes and the mood lightened so significantly that the Girl's friend suggested getting ice cream at Cabots, an old established ice cream parlor on the other end of the city. Off we went to the other side of town and sat down for ice cream. Poor Girl, every flavor she wanted they didn't have. She wanted Apple Crisp. Nope. She wanted Pumkin. Nope. She was getting down and didn't know what to order when we both found the one thing that I knew she would love, the Apple Pie Sundae. Her friend got the most disgusting combination ever and ended up hating it. Cotton candy ice cream with malt powder on top. GROSS. But she ate it.

I had my standard, mint chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge and marshmallow. I'm not a whipped cream fan on my ice cream. I had the smallest size you can get, and it was a lot. Really a lot on top of dinner and wine and chocolate. I can't even remember having that much food to eat in a long time. Thankfully today's scale reading was down 2.5 lbs, so I'm not going to lose that much traction on the diet scene.

Great evening, fun friends and family, and wonderful edibles. What else can you ask for?

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger BSumner said...

Oooo that sounds like fun. Expecially the chocolate part. LOL. I LOVE Panera.. we use to live way too close to one before we moved in June.

Have any plans tonight? :D

20/8/08 8:19 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Nope, nothing fun tonight. Only work.

20/8/08 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.