HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Paperwork sucks

You know that day. The one where you just have to do the paperwork that's been piling up on your desk? The paperwork that is probably either overdue or right on the borderline of late? That has lots of forms you have to fill in and stuff you have to search in your files for so you can copy them and then assemble little packets of paperwork that doesn't fit in regular envelopes? The packets that have to be mailed at the post office because they weigh more than an ounce and the mailman won't take them?

Today was that day.

I have a real fear of paperwork. It isn't the forms, per se. It's the sitting down and sorting through a bazillion sheets of paper to find all the supporting documents. Let's just say that I am not the most organized person. Let's also say that my home health aid that comes in weekly to help out, she is a piler. She piles the papers up here and there, and I don't know what is in the piles because she piled them and I didn't. So... it is disorganization plus around here.

Now, I recently went through all the paperwork and threw out all the old bills from 2004 that I really didn't need. And I filed away much of the paperwork very neatly in those accordian folders. I was quite thorough. Except for one thing. I never labeled the folders so I have no idea of what is in each one, meaning that I have to paw through them to find anything.

I have file cabinets. Three of them. I don't use them because I have some weird anti-filing gene and I tend to lose ANYTHING that is placed in a file cabinet. Instead I use those big cheapo plastic see-thru boxes with lids. For some reason, those are easier for me to deal with, knowing that every box contains a different subject matter. There's one for school, one for bills, one for my client's paperwork, one for household crap like user manuals for the vacuum cleaner, and one for medical stuff. That one is especially messy as there are three of us and one box and OMG, I am such a procrastinating idiot when it comes to filing.

I had quite a few different forms to get out there. Like way more than I ever thought would pile up. I got 3 done. But those three were the big ones and they took the most time. Tomorrow I'll work on the next couple, and I'll get them all done by next week.

Just in time to do all the school forms in Sept when we go back.

Does anyone else just reel on the first day of school when the kids come home with those packets of health forms and all the other stuff we have to sign? Every year the same information. I hate those. For some reason, our school system has 3 separate health cards that contain the exact same information but need to each be filled out separately. Love those!

I might have some really excellent news coming up. I can't say anything about it yet. I know, everyone does this and it's horribly annoying, but honestly, I can't until it's reality. But it's good.

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

I have ADD, so I cannot let things pile up. Once it's out of control, it's nearly impossible for me to regain it. I just have trouble breaking huge tasks up into smaller, more manageable pieces. I get overwhelmed.

For that reason, I have become and organizational dynamo. It's my only defense against clutter and paperwork.

Thankfully, Husband is an organizer too, and he keeps all the financial paperwork in order. He does tend to panic though, when I throw stuff out. He worries that someday in the distant future we might need that.

Between the two of us we do pretty well, but it's a daily battle.

All that school crap? Gah. I spent two hours last night filling out all that garbage. Isn't that what computers are for?

13/8/08 8:04 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I only have one kid at home right now, and her room is a bomb, but I manage to keep the paperwork down to a dull roar by dealing with it pretty much daily.

I am an accountant, so my life is filled with forms, forms, forms. That is the area that I get overloaded and behind.

Maggie

13/8/08 9:13 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

We finally settled on an accordion folder with the month names on it for our basic papers. After they leave the to-do basket, every keeper goes in there. It's the only way we can make time to file, and it's simple enough that we actually do it!

13/8/08 9:47 AM  
Blogger Barbie Schowalter & Kirsetin Morello said...

I am right there with you. HATE the paperwork and it seems to creep up on me no matter how many "Organize Your Life" articles I read (or write!). Can't wait to hear your good news....such suspense! -Kirsetin

13/8/08 2:45 PM  
Blogger BSumner said...

I purchased these white canvas bins at BJ's and I keep 4 of them on a shelf in my office. One is bills.. after they're paid I put them in a binder and keep for 1 year. 1 bin is for medical receipts and EOB's (for the reimbursement plan thru DH's work). Another is for important papers to be placed in another binder (receipts, insurance policy, car warranty.. that sort of thing). the other is for misc paper like junk and things i may need to look at later.

Once a month I go thru.. pay the bills, put them in the binder marked paid. Then I go thru the rest of the mail and either file it away or shred for the recycle bin.

It keeps me from going insane.

13/8/08 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.