HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Tax Free Weekends

In Massachusetts we have a "tax free" weekend where purchases under $2500 (each) are tax free for the weekend. This is the very weekend. Having nothing huge that I need or can afford, I avoided the stores that sell furniture and appliances like the plague. Although my friend I bought herself a brand new dining room set and saved a small fortune on our 5% sales tax.

Instead I bought my son his b'day present (and NO I'm not telling you what I got because he reads my blog), went to the grocery store for some necessities, and stopped at AJ Moore to get something for a baby shower we're invited to.

I know that the mommy-to-be is going to get plenty of cute things. She's only a kid, and her parents will help her, as will her boyfriend who is not the baby daddy. It's complicated. But I wanted to do something special for her, mostly because I don't think anyone else will. She's a nice kid who made a huge mistake and she's taking responsibility for her error, continuing on in school to finish her senior year, and hopefully make something of herself.

I never thought I would be in this position. I've told the Girl over and over that I don't approve of what happened with her friend, but I'm not going to be a bitch about it. She's got enough negativity already. The baby is due next week and the shower will be held after he's born. She's doing a good job with prenatal care, she's put up a nursery of sorts in her bedroom while the baby is an infant, and they have created a room in her parent's house for the baby when he gets older. I think this kid is doing a rather remarkable job considering that she's 16. I can't see my kid being so organized and responsible.

So I wanted to make the baby something that this mom will cherish. Not anything fancy or unusable, just something that has the baby's name on it, embroidered with pretty embroidery floss. I bought a bib with some needlepoint fabric embedded in the front of the bib, and I'll embroider the name and a couple of teddy bears on it. It was very inexpensive and luckily on sale, and I have most of the floss colors at home anyhow, so a really unique gift will also be cost effective. I like that.

The Girl is going to help me on the project, and we'll make a really nice card and package up the bib in a pretty box. This is the kind of thing I really enjoy doing, making something special out of practically nothing.

I just hope she likes it for her baby son.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger craziequeen said...

Hi Margalit - what a fantastic idea and I'm sure the new mum will cherish it forever.

I'm so bad at crafty things - when I have friends who are expecting their gift is invariably free babysitting - and the opportunity for the new parents to get out.

cq

17/8/08 2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.