HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

WFMW: Summer brings the dreaded bugs indoors

It's the first Works For Me Wednesday in a while, and this one is a backwards edition. Instead of my leaving a tidbit of advice, I'm asking you for some help.

We have fruit flies....again. Every single summer we get them. I know it's because we eat a lot of fruit in the summer, and we do not like our fruit refrigerated. We always have a large bowl of fruit sitting on the island, and that bowl attracts fruit flies.

Every summer I try some new way to trap them. I've left out an almost empty bottle of red wine, I've tied honey in a dish, I've even poured bleach down the drain in hopes of getting them out of the house.

Nothing I've done so far is successful. So I'm turning to you, people. I need help. I can't stand having fruit flies, and I'm not willing to give up the fruit. Especially since the apple crop is just coming into season and peaches are in high season as well.

What is your special way to kill the little buggies?
Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

8 Comments:

Blogger Jen @ Mommay's Mayhem said...

I hate those stupid bugs! We get them too every year although this year wasn't too bad ::knocking on wood::

I usually take a piece of fruit and put it in a small throwaway bowl. Put a piece of plastic wrap over it and secure with an elastic. Take a toothpick and pop tiny holes in the plastic. The bugs will go in but they usually can't get back out. I wait til there's a ton trapped in there and then throw the whole thing out. =)

3/9/08 7:07 AM  
Blogger Lene said...

I have no special trick to getting rid of them but I did find that if I rinse or wash ALL the fruit and let it dry on a towel before I put it in the fruit bowl - I have no flies. That includes rinsing the bananas. Good luck.

3/9/08 11:30 AM  
Blogger Phoebe said...

We have a horrible amount of fruit flies this year and it is making me nuts!! One thing I tried was a small bowl of vinegar with a dab of dish soap. They like the smell of vinegar and then they get trapped. It works good, but not all of them were gone.

3/9/08 1:45 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Cleaning the fruit is my usual solution. I keep my compost jar covered, too, until I take it outside.

3/9/08 6:18 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I wrote about this awhile ago. This is THE BEST one. Cheap, easy, works.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/slinks/fruit-fly-death-trapfrom-renest-our-site-that-covers-abundant-design-for-green-homes-055808

3/9/08 6:55 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

I've done the dish soap and vinegar thing and OH MY GOSH - it WORKS. I was so amazed. I had them SO BAD one year. I left the cup out over night and almost all of them were dead by the next morning.

4/9/08 5:11 PM  
Blogger Rhiannon said...

here's the recipe :

Pour some apple cider vinegar into a glass or bowl (fill it about 1/2 way) then add water and some dish soap. The vinegar will attract them, because they will think it is food. Once they get inside, they are trapped and drown because the dish soap changes the surface tension of the liquid.

4/9/08 5:13 PM  
Blogger scribbler said...

What lene and daisy said. Fruit comes home from the grocery store with lots of fly eggs attached.

5/9/08 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.