HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 03, 2008

VP Debate

Well, nobody won at Palin Bingo, but I did fill in 13 squares on my card, tying with the Girl. The Boy only had 10.

Best moment of the debate:



Another snippet of Sarah being snide but not answering the charges put in front of her. We're talking about McCain here, Sarah, not what you did in Alaska. Not relevant!



Sarah Palin's winking drove me nuts. What was the deal with the winks? Are we sharing a secret or some "in crowd" moment? And her folksie talk, ugh. I am sure that this plays well with the people who love her because she's a mom and a 'maverick' but us edumacated wimin are kinda turned off by the fake 'say it ain't so, Joe' comments. I like my politicians to be smart. I think we've all learned what a folksie but dumb as a box of rocks President can do to a country. We need to strive for intelligence. We need to vote for someone who didn't have to attend 6 colleges in as many years to graduate with a BA in 'journalism'. We need someone that can debate without reading her various talking points from 5x7 cards on the podium. That was really irritating to me, watching her going through all her prep notes instead of listening to what Joe Biden was saying. Rude, too.

Did she do better than I thought? Well, not really. She didn't have any "moose in the headlights" moments, but she also didn't answer any questions. I mean, she had answers, but they weren't particularly relevant to the actual question posed. I didn't get any new information from her, and I didn't find her answers either compelling or particularly factual. But she did actually appear to be well prepped and the questions Iffel posed weren't really PhD orals. I think anyone that reads the newspapers could do as well as she did.

Biden, on the other hand, was awesome. He was polite, listened to the questions and answered them without notes, knew what he was talking about, took her on several times when she made claims that were unfounded, and showed that he really gets being a middle class American. He talked over and over about the middle class while she never mentioned the middle class at all, just like her daddy McCain. I loved his references to Home Depot and pumping gas in his town. When do you think the last time John McCain hit Home Depot or pumped his own gas? Like never.

When Biden got choked up while talking about his son's survival after the car accident that killed his wife and daughter, I thought that it was a defining moment. It was obvious that this was real, and not just an act to gain sympathy. His discussion about being a single parent and raising his kids knowing what it's like to be stressed and having not enough money was moving and real. No matter that Palin was supposed to be the 'real' American, she appeared to be yet another spoiled politician compared to Biden.

Did you watch? What did you think of the debate? Did it change your mind about Palin or Biden?

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I missed the debate (damn time difference!) but I had to chime in anyway since your moose in the headlights crack had me snorting coffee out my nose!

3/10/08 3:33 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I couldn't watch. I was not feeling well (major sinus headache) and knew Palin would make the headache worse. Thanks for the summary! My daughter told me "Biden rocked" too. She's only 21, and still not fooled by Palin.

3/10/08 4:17 PM  
Blogger Patrick Roberts said...

the GOP would dare schedule any more unscripted air time for Palin b/c this will give people more time to realize that she doesn't have a clue... the prospect of her becoming the Commander in Chief is frightening

10/10/08 2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.