HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Where did it go?

I woke up this morning to see the tree in front of my bedroom windows shedding leaves. On the grass below, there was a small sprinkling of leaves pressed into the fading grass by pouring rain. The house was chilly and had that smell of fall, damp and lush with a hint of mold. All of a sudden it really is fall and the summer is gone.

My wardrobe has consisted of shorts and t-shirts the entire summer, and I am not thrilled to be moving on to long pants and sweaters. The best part of summer is letting your body breath in the warm air, and encasing my legs and arms in thick fabric makes me sad. I'm not ready for this.

But the calendar proclaims it's October, the stores filled with funny halloween gadgets and candy candy candy. Every year there is more stuff available for halloween, and I wish fervently that my kids were still little so I could get some. We have the perfect house to decorate, with a long long driveway crying out for ghost lumenaria and a front porch that begs for flying bats. Our horribly overgrown shrubbery would look fabulous with fake cobwebs, and we have no outdoor lighting, which makes the house totally spooky at night. Alas, nobody ever ventures up our hill and we don't get any trick-or-treaters, ever. It's a sad sad state of affairs. I think every fall that if we turned our house into one of those haunted house destinations, we could get trick or treaters, but it isn't gonna happen. Instead it will be another night, just like any other night.

This isn't a good time of year for me. As yet another victim of SADD, I find myself sleeping more and feeling morose. I know it happens every fall. The days grow ever shorter, the lack of sunlight and the ridiculous amounts of rain we have in the fall tend to make the transition particularly heinous for me. I don't hate winter. But I hate the lack of sunlight. Winter in Massachusetts isn't like winter in Colorado, even though they both are cold and snowy. My mind craves sunlight and the full-spectrum lights don't really cut it.

I get why people retire to Florida as snowbirds. If I could, I would too. OK, not Florida. I'm so not Florida person. But some nice tropical island where the sunlight is a featured player, the weather is warm, and the waters crystal clear. Now that the boomers have lost their retirement funds in the economic meltdown we're currently facing, it will be interesting to see just how retirement plays out in the near future. I'm willing to be that the competition for subsidized elderly housing is going to be fierce.

So kiddies, it's fall. No more pussyfooting about. It's time to put away the shorts and pull out the pants. Time to get your coats out of the back of the closet. Time to bag up all the clothes your kids have outgrown and toss them into the basement or the garage until you have time to sort through them. Time to pull out the dragging summer flowers and pot up some chrysanthemums.

Don't forget to plant some bulbs. You'll be so thankful you did in the spring!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I've been holding onto my capri pants, knowing that once I put them away it's all long pants and sweaters until May. One more week: please, one more "warm" week!

1/10/08 4:38 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

You are so right about the bulbs. Every year I get lazy in the fall and every Spring i am disappointed. I am adding that to my list right now.
My problem isn't switching to warmer clothes, it's the dilemma of plantar faciitis and a summer spent in happy Birkenstock comfort that now will require sock and finding shoes with an arch that high. i am NOT looking forward to it.

1/10/08 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.