HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, October 31, 2008

You gotta be kidding me

Today I was in my favorite coffee shop, meeting with a new client. Sitting next to us were two young women, high school friends, who had graduated from top colleges last spring. How do I know this? They mentioned their respective schools about a million times. Every sentence began with "After I left Yale.." and "After Princeton..." so I was pretty damn sure. Anyhooooo...

They talked about unemployment, about traveling, about what they were planning next in their lives. Both girls didn't have a job, had spent the summer traveling in foreign countries, returned home to their parents houses to vegetate and contemplate their navels, and then their respective parents laid down the law and told them that they had to get a job and find a place to live. After whining and moaning for a while, the conversation naturally turned to politics.

Both young women were able to vote, were eligible to vote, and yet said that they were not voting. They got into the "what's the point?" frame of mind, where Massachusetts is such a blue state that their votes weren't really necessary, and after all.... they were so busy and all that they didn't want to (gasp) wait in line. I mean, waiting with all the common folk. You never know how that might smear your reputation.

I held my tongue. I didn't say a word. But I was fuming inside. How dumb are these spoiled young women that they couldn't even exercise their fundamental right to vote because it might interfere with their online job searches? So here are my words. For these young women and for all the people that still believe that their vote doesn't matter.



Now get your ass in gear and vote! Bring something to nosh on, a water bottle, and a book. But vote. The country needs your vote. We all need you to participate. So vote!

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Ora said...

I hope that you butt into their conversation and told them to get out and vote!

31/10/08 12:52 PM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

I already voted! :-)

31/10/08 5:05 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

How sad. How sad that they feel too privileged to be bothered standing in line. They need to see the "Just One Vote" series and the differences in our world that have been made by yes, one vote.
I'll pack my coffee Tuesday morning and wait in line. It's worth it.

31/10/08 6:28 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

I sort of wish MA had early voting because I know the lines are going to be ridiculous on Tuesday. Even though our polling place is convenient to me, it has VERY limited parking (all handicapped, as it's in a retirement home gym) and everyone disregards the handicap signs and parks wherever they want. It's so irritating. But I'm STILL voting.

31/10/08 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.