HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Can you explain this to me?

I'm participating in Nablopomo, like so many other posters. But the difference between me and a lot of posters is that on day 1 (yesterday) they were already complaining about what a chore it is going to be to update their blogs every day, and how their upcoming posts would be mediocre filler at best. I don't get that.

If you are participating in Nablopomo, why not give it your best effort. It's thirty freaking days. Why start out with the attitude that you're going to produce nothing but mediocrity? Why cry about how hard it is going to be? If you don't want to post every day... then don't participate. Otherwise, let's make the effort to post every day about something that matters to you. I don't care what the subject is, but if you have a passion for it, it will be interesting to your readers.

Now, I've had that Blog365 button on my sidebar for almost a year now. I post every single day, and have all year long. Sometimes I post 3 and 4 times in a day, especially if there is a lot going on that I want to share. I'm guilty of spreading viral YouTube videos, but rarely do I make that a whole day's posting. I'm not claiming that I'm doing the greatest job, or that I'm doing it right and other people are wrong. What I'm saying is that if I can do it for a full year, then you can do it for a month. Really. It's not that hard.

My reading of MommyBlogs has fallen off considerably. But there are a few families that I follow every day (Zoot, Mandajuice) because I've fallen madly in love with those kids. They are quirky and funny and not all that well behaved and there is something about how their mom's present them that just makes me want more. So even if they post daily about their silly kids, I crack up all the time. I find them vastly entertaining. Oh, those two aren't my only MommyBlogs. You know if I read you because I do comment. But if you're writing about your kids often and all of a sudden for Nablopomo you decide to post recipes or book reviews... I think I'd get exceedingly bored and drop you from my reader. So stick with your regular topics and don't go all fancy schmancy.

And while I'm on a tear, for those of you that update your blogs monthly instead of daily, why do you expect people to continue to follow you? Either post or kill off your blog. But really, once a month isn't blogging. It's writing a series of Christmas letters and you all know how much we love those!

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger tara said...

Yikes! Now you've got me wondering if I sounded like I was complaining... ;)

2/11/08 8:55 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Hmmm, I too now wonder if I was complaining - let me go check!! Well, I don't think that I was complaining as such - just a recognition that it will be hard and that occassionally there will be rubbish, but I also say that it is only with practice that I'll get better!!!

2/11/08 11:08 AM  
Blogger Dave2 said...

I dunno... 30 days is such a long time to be posting daily... maybe I'll join next year?

2/11/08 11:34 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I signed up for NaBloPoMo, and I hope I can approach it with a good attitude. It's all fun, and I signed up willingly.
One recipe a week isn't too much, is it? :)

2/11/08 1:54 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Dave2, you post everyday anyhow. It's RARE that you miss a day. And when you do, it's the fault of some crappy wifi at a hotel in upper slobovia or someplace equally nasty.

So you're excused.

Nobody who commented was who I was referring to. But they know who they are. Because it's so haaaaard to post something every day. Boo hoo hoo.

Yes, I am a bitch. Glad you noticed!

2/11/08 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.