HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Conscience vs Cash

As an uber-liberal boycotter of everything from Nestles to non-union lettuce, I've tried very hard to live within my conscience. I fail occasionally, as we all do, but for the most part I make it my business to live within the realm of the politically correct. Of course this means not shopping at the dreaded WalMart, because they remain non-union and don't provide health insurance for most of their employees. I've been successful at this boycott mainly because the closest Walmart is far enough away from my house that it's totally outside the bounds of my usual stompling grounds. And I'm more of a Target girl anyhow.

But with the economy getting worse and my measley dollars shrinking before my eyes, I believe I might have to cross my own PC boundries and shop occasionally at the dreaded Walmart. The truth is, cleaning supplies are so freaking expensive, and I of course use Green cleaners because, as we have learned, I'm beyond politically correct and all the way to PC obsessed when it comes to chemicals in my home. Heck, even the freaking cat has asthma.

I can't afford green cleaning products in the grocery store, and my last foray to Target had me gasping at the prices. I like clean houses, dishes, and clothing as much as the next person, but damn! When did Method add gold into their products? This stuff is freaking expensive, even in Target. So I didn't buy anything and now we're out of laundry detergent and we have nothing left to wash the floors and clean the counters with, so it's time to bit the bullet.

Yes, it is true. I am going to Walmart this afternoon. I tried to go yesterday but I just couldn't raise the energy for the drive and the shop. However, I have no choice. I am down to my last pair of undies and we need the stuff. I wish we didn't, but the fact is, clean clothes are a necessity.

I have been in Walmarts before. I have even bought things at Walmart. But it's been years (since we lived in CA and there was one in Mt View not far from where we lived) and truthfully, I was appalled at how dirty and disheveled the store was. Maybe it was just that store, but I got it into my head that Walmart was gross because of their politics and that solidified my unwillingness to shop there.

I don't like that I have to go against my conscience in order to afford cleaning products, but as President-Elect Obama has said, we all have to make sacrifices. So I'm going, but if this store is dirty, I'm gonna sulk.

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

The health insurance issue is big. In our state, WalMart employees use $400,000 (at last count) of our state healthcare dollars. Their low prices are artificially low; they cost us in other ways.
I feel your pain. I've shopped there, too, and felt guilty about it.

9/11/08 2:35 PM  
Blogger Bobbi Lynn said...

Thought I'd pass along some very frugal, eco-friendly, make your own cleaners as another option!

Cleaners:
http://thefrugalhousewife.blogspot.com/2008/08/homemade-cleaners.html

Laundry Detergent:
http://razorfamilyfarms.com/blog/?p=603

I hope that you find them useful!

9/11/08 6:01 PM  
Blogger Nina said...

If it makes you feel any better, WalMart, through the Walton Foundation, basically pays my salary at this new job. My kids used to give me sh_t for shopping at WalMart, but now that we don't have the discretionary income we used to have, they have learned to deal with it.

10/11/08 11:52 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

Nina, it does make me feel better. I'd rather be paying your salary than lining the pockets of creepy people in Arkansas who don't believe in union labor.

10/11/08 5:13 PM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I, too, have a serious thing against Walmart. I have never been in one and never plan to be in one. Maybe use vinegar? There are lots of green sites that tell you the many cleaning uses of vinegar.

11/11/08 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.