HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, November 07, 2008

Is it any wonder I'm going insane?

I just got home from a quick run to the post office after dropping off the Girl at work (she's talking to me now) and doing a quick reconaissance at Linens N Things to if something I have had my eye on for the past couple of years is marked down to a reasonable price. Phew... talk about your run-on sentence.

When I got home I found a note on the kitchen stovetop from the Boy.


That says, for those that can't read dysgraphic handwriting:

Hi Mom, Me andSome friends and I are cooking at Izzy's house. I will be home before 12. I took a package of chicken from the freezer.

Love, (Name redacted)

OK, kudos to him for leaving a note. In a place where I would actually see it, too.

But... he took a package of chicken from the freezer? I wonder if it's the package of chicken I was planning on cooking for dinner? The one that really shouldn't have left the house because, as we all know, everyone in town is richer than fuck and I'm the one that can't afford to lose an entire dinner to his friends.

Oh, and there's that pesky little rule that says that he's NOT supposed to take anything out of the freezer without asking permission.

Now, in the eyes of the Boy, this note IS asking permission. I know that will be his argument when we 'discuss' this later tonight. I'm not crazy, right? This isn't asking for permission, he's stating a fact.

Just checking...

Onto Linens-n-Things. What a freaking crock. We have a store right down the street and this is the 3rd week of their "going out of business, all things must go" sale. They have hired these poor shlubs to stand on corners advertising this great sale opportunity. "40%" all the signs say. Everything marked down. Bare bottom prices.

Lies, I tell you. Lies. First, last week one of our local news channels discovered that they had actually marked UP prices so that the marked down prices were actually higher than the original prices. For example, something that sold for $29.99 was marked up by the company running the bankruptcy to $39.99 by just putting a sticker atop the original price. Then, when the item was marked down to that ever generous 10%, the customer ended up spending more than the original price. Well, that pissed me and about 2 bazillion other potential customers off, so LNT closed the stores for a day for "inventory" and reopened with original pricing. Or so they said. Again, lies!

When the signs attached to the store trumpeted out everything 40% off, I decided that today would be the day I would check in to see if my dream item had been marked down to a price I could afford. Wishful thinking on my part, but you never know.

NOTHING in that damn store was marked down more than 20%. Nothing, not even the Halloween decorative items. I walked through the whole store. Carefully. I found an item that would be PERFECT for the girl's room decor, once she cleans up the 20 loads of laundry from her floor and paints her room. But they were marked down 10%. No way!

My item, a Cuisinart toaster oven to replace the toaster oven that died 3 years ago, was more expensive in LNT than it is online at Amazon. Even with the markdown. What a freaking ripoff. I've heard about closeout sales doing this, but I've never seen it before first hand.

Needless to say, I didn't buy a thing, not even some Method dish soap that I can get cheaper at Target. I'm livid. I hate being ripped off, even if I didn't buy a thing. So I'm warning everyone to stay out of this stupid store because you're not getting any bargains.

Lastly, tonight I witnesses a fender bender right in front of a cop directing traffic. Or at least he was HIRED to direct traffic. What he was actually doing was standing with his back to the traffic having a very loud animated conversation with a young black fellow. Lots of laughing and gaffawing ensued as I was driving past with my windows open for some air.

This accident occurred at the intersection of the entrance to Bread and Circus Whole Paycheck and Walnut, where a hired police officer stands much of the day to direct the traffic into and out of the store. You pay for that, people. Why do you think the food is so expensive. Service!

Anyhow, traffic at 5 pm in that particular area is heinous in the best of times. In rain and darkness, it's even worse. Because the cop was NOT paying attention to the traffic and was instead discussing the minor play by play errors of the Patriots or something equally inane, a car tried to leave the parking lot and meld into the traffic stream. Of course some Masshole wouldn't let the car in, and kaboom. A fender bender.

The cop didn't even turn around until people started yelling. All this and more for $60/hour.

But I must say that I'm thrilled with the Obama family for trying to find a rescue dog. If they come home with a golden doodle (and they ARE adorable but...) I'm going to be annoyed. I hope they can find a lovely rescue dog that is 'hypoallergenic', even though I believe that is a myth. You are either allergic or you are not. As in, I'm allergic to cats and I have totally lost my inability to breathe like a normal person. But even living with two cats, I'm still allergic. Dumb, but allergic.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger Louise said...

I don't know - I am totally allergic to most dogs (my parents' pomeranian and my brother's german shepherd and beagle all make me break out in hives and unable to breathe) but I am fine around schnauzers and poodles.

7/11/08 6:41 PM  
Blogger I am Barking Mad said...

It's not as simple as being allergic or not allergic. It's protein in the saliva that mixes with the dander - dander specific to certain dogs due to their hair type, that causes the allergic reaction in a lot of people. I've spent the last 30 years dealing with various pet allergies and have learned this in the last two years - the issues with dander and the protein in the saliva.

Poodles, whilst hypoallergenic for most, are NOT good around little kids. Golden Retrievers shed. So we got a Goldendoodle last year. We did go to a breeder. She only breeds her bitches once a year. She's humane and she adopts out her dogs and does not sell them.

In an ideal world, we'd have gone to a local shelter, as we did for our two Maine Coons, to get a dog. However in my "ideal" world, I'd like to be able to breath and not have a rash from head to toe and not spend my days in a Benedryl haze.

Doodles (both Labradoodles and Goldendoodles) are also highly intelligent dogs adaptable to a variety of situations, and generally very happy to be around just about anyone and would do well in an environment where there are liable to be people, all the time, flashes from cameras, etc.

Sure, it would be nice if President and First Lady Obama could make a statement for animal welfare by adopting from a local shelter. Unfortunately, they might not have the luxury of being able to do that. If they are able to find a Doodle from a rescue organization, kudos to them!

7/11/08 10:49 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

I was looking up different kinds of poodle cross breeds and came across a wheaton terrier/poodle combination that has got to be the cutest thing I've ever seen. Now I want one!

7/11/08 11:40 PM  
Blogger KAYLAPEARSON.COM said...

very nice blog some how i found you looking for things on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia.

7/11/08 11:53 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Thank goodness you have a blog! It's a safe place to rant. Well, most of the time.

8/11/08 4:10 PM  
Blogger Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

That's crazy about LnT's - I guess some people just don't notice and that's where they are making the $$$.

I was beaming when I heard Obama was going for a rescue/shelter dog too! It made my day - I really hope it helps create a little boom of rescue doggies finding a home.

I'm allergic too (I know, you'd never know it by our mini petting zoo) but I have noticed as my body gets used to each individual pet, it's not quite as bad as it is when we first meet - usually the first time I am around any animal I am sneezing and scratching my skin raw. At least I can sort of breathe at home and not scratch myself to death. Sort of.

8/11/08 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.