HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shopping report from the Mart of Wals

I haven't given you all the lowdown on our trip to Walmart. Good freaking God, that store is cheap. CHEAP. Like in ridiculously inexpensive. No wonder people love it. And this one was sparkly clean and well kept up, with nice friendly helpful Wallys helping you to find merchandise. It was actually, dare I say it, a pleasant experience.

I came looking for cleaning supplies, paper goods, and a warm hoodie. The women's clothing was right up front and the Girl, who was my shopping support, immediately found a couple of things she could not live without. Man, I love that she has a job and can pay for her own impulse shopping. She bought a pair of velveteen sweat pants and a glove and scarf set. She was eyeing the leggings and the flannel pajama pants, but she didn't have enough cash, so those stayed on the shelves.

While she was looking, I found the aisle with the toilet paper and the paper towels. The paper towels were a lot cheaper than in the grocery store, but the toilet paper (Scott soft) was pretty much the same price, only a few pennies cheaper. But it was convenient to get them both, so I piled up two packs of TP and an 8 pack of paper towels. As a rule I don't use that many paper towels, but the cleaning lady does, and I'd rather she use those than leave me yucky rags to wash.

The next aisle had laundry stuff, and I was a bit disappointed to find that they had hardly any detergent without perfumes. I don't use Tide because it's so overpriced, and the detergent they had on special, Gain, only had dyes and perfumes. We're too delicate for that stuff, so I had to look carefully and found All Clear and Free in a huge bottle with a pump for under $10. It says it does 96 washes, so that ends up being cheaper than I would normally spend in the market.

On the other side of the aisle were the household cleaners, and I hit paydirt. They had all those Clorox Green Works cleaners on special, and I got a bunch of them. I like them, but not as much as I like Method. But they were markedly cheaper than Method products, nothing over two bucks, so I got one of everything we needed. Lastly I found Murphy's Oil Soap for the floors, which was a great price, so I picked that up as well.

The Girl found 2 binders, 2 spiral notebooks, and an assignment notebook that all matched (very important) and she'll use them for school along with the el-cheapo supplies I already provided her. She was way happy about having matching school supplies. You got me, I used Pee-Chees all though high school and was fine with them.

I looked at the hoodies and found a really nice warm one with a fake shearling lining for $20. I really needed something for this weather. I have warm coats, and I have a great rain coat, but to just go outside for a walk, I was always trying out this and that and nothing was just right. I needed a hoodie with a zipper to use as a light jacket. And now I have one, in a less than charming forest green. It is so warm. I used it to take the Girl to work and I was hot by the time I got home.

This Walmart didn't have a grocery store, but they did have some food. I got milk, cheese, frozen brussel sprouts (I eat them as snacks at night because I am very odd), a huge pack of popcorn that was cheaper than buying it in a jar and making it yourself. I'm NOT a popcorn lover, but my kids both like it for after school snacks and it's cheap and light and easy to clean up. I bought a few other odds and ends like wide noodles and cream of mushroom soup (for tuna casserole, of course).

We were in and out of the store in well under an hour, the traffic was easy to deal with, and the parking was good with plenty of handicap spaces. It took 20 minutes to get there, and a bit longer to get home due to traffic at "The Collection", but that's well within the realm of satisfactory considering that we don't have a grocery store that close.

All in all, it wasn't a bad experience. Did I feel a bit guilty for spending money there? I did until I saw the prices. I just couldn't believe how much you can get there for only a few bucks. The quality isn't fabulous, but women's jeans for $10. That's a great deal! We'll go again, but I don't think I'll make it a habit or anything. Just when we need cleaning stuff, because it feels great to save that much money.

I know many of you commented and emailed me about making your own cleaning products. I read them all, and totally chickened out. I can't see that it would save that much money considering that you have to buy all these supplies just to make it. Plus, I have no place to go into a big cleaning supply making frenzy. But bless all of you who do make it. I think it's great and I'm really proud of all of you for going green and saving money. My two favorite things. Maybe next month I'll be braver!

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I'm working on increasing the number of supplies I make from scratch, but I'm with you on the cleaning supplies. It's a lot of work and a hefty investment to get started.

11/11/08 8:52 PM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

I was totally chicken for a long time to make my own stuff, but I didn't really spend much money at all--I bought a two gallon container, some Fels Naptha soap (.95/per bar), Super Washing Soda and Baking Soda. That is it for the laundry soap. Fabric Softener is vinegar, baking soda and some lavender essential oil. All of my cleaners are made with vinegar, rubbing alcohol,etc. I make small batches and re-use old spray bottles. There was no heavy investment--just 20 minutes to make laundry soap

11/11/08 9:39 PM  
Blogger Virginia Janet said...

Thanks for sharing your WalMart shopping experiences.

13/11/08 3:35 AM  
Blogger test said...

Wal Mart is also my favorite place to shop. It saved me lots of monry, especially during the holiday season.

4/2/09 2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.