HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

And my back STILL itches

It seems to be the thing to go over this past year with a fine tooth comb and reexamine all the events of the year. I can do that in three words.

2008 sucked balls.

See, succinct and to the point.

2008 was not a great year for us. It was a year filled with fighting for my daughter's right to a free and public education, something she was denied most of the year. And of course that made for lots of legal stuff that also sucked.

It was the year that my health took a serious dive and I ended up in the hospital twice for congestive heart failure.

Then the Worthless Pet got sick and also ended up in the hospital, with asthma. Freaking ASTHMA. Cost and arm and a leg, too.

We added Pepper to the family and she has been such a delight that now I want to get every kitten I see posted on Petfinder. I think I'm going to be a crazy cat lady.

I was carless for 5 months, and that made life into a living hell. But in May I was gifted with our teeny toymotor and that has been an absolute godsend, even if registering it took about 130 trips to the DMV and city hall. That was a nightmare I'd like to forget.

We had plenty of health insurance craziness that has yet to be totally resolved. But it will after tomorrow. Go Mass Health!

It was the year that we canceled Hanukkah due to some heinous behavior by a certain GIRL in our house.

But it was also the year that Anne Coulter had her jaw wired shut, which gave me WAY more pleasure than it should have.

I did volunteer work for the Obama campaign, and got politically addicted in a way that I hadn't been in many years. And EVERY candidate I voted for won, for the first time in my entire voting life.

I also had some real successes in my work. My clients went on to have very successful IEP meetings with great results after a lot of hard work on all our parts.

I got a job writing editorials for our local newspaper, where I'm asked to rant and rave. What could be better than that?

I also got involved in local politics and appeared on local TV to discuss some financial brouhaha over our new high school.

I made many new friends, people that now mean so much to me that it's just fabulous to feel so loved. It had been a long time since I've made new friends, and all of a sudden I'm overwhelmed with the goodness of so many.

The Boy has, as I worried about all year, blown off doing anything regarding college. He will be taking a gap year, and then we'll discuss going local for a year and transferring to the college of his choice. Right now, he's not ready and he knows he isn't ready. Of course this means that he'll be home next year with NO plans yet. YET being the key word.

The Girl continues to be entrenched with the Boyfriend I'm not that fond of, and has gotten herself into way too many scrapes with him for me to be trusting. She's had a couple of bad times, but has bounced back much more quickly and has been mostly quite pleasant to be around. If only she would learn to tell the truth. It's a work in progress.

I blogged every day for 365 days. I wasn't sure I could do it, but it became such a habit that I just forged ahead. But I did it. I DID IT!

This past summer was the best summer I've spent in a long time. We had a great Staycation, spending time at the beach, in Maine, and around Boston.

I survived many months without LOST, but am now gearing up for the new season by rewatching last season. Can't forget anything with this show.

I cooked and baked a lot, and posted many recipes. I also started collecting recipes for a cookbook I want to make for my kids, so they will always have Mom's cooking when Mom is no longer with them. So far, ~250 recipes and I'm not done yet!

My garden drowned twice due to the monsoons we had this summer. But some of it bounced back and we did have a teeny tiny crop. It was disappointing.

My kids became much more independent once they reached the ripe old age of 16. Their curfew changed, and they were allowed more freedom. And we started doing some driving. Gulp. But no licenses yet.

I can't say it was all horrible, because it wasn't. But it was no banner year and I'm really glad to be moving on.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger jodifur said...

I know, like 2 bloggers who 2008 didn't suck for and I'm not exaggerating.

Happy New Year. Nice to have "meet" you this year.

31/12/08 7:26 PM  
Blogger Crazed Mom said...

Here to a much better 2009! Love ya girl. Thanks for being a friend.

Janice

1/1/09 1:01 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Here's hoping that 2009 is a better year overall for you and your kids. Teens? Kiddos? They're certainly not children...

1/1/09 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.