HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, December 25, 2008

If only there were pans that washed themselves

If you're here from boston.com, welcome. I'm not a professional cook, nor do I play one on TV, but I do love to cook and this was my first opportunity to cook a standing rib roast. I hope you enjoy the recipe!

A wonderful and generous friend gifted us with an amazing dinner last night, Christmas Eve. The dinner was partially prepared, but I needed to guild the lily of the side dishes, add a green veggie, and cook the standing rib roast. Never in my life have I cooked a prime rib and I highly doubt I ever will again. We got a 3-rib roast and it was so freaking costly I almost plotzed.

I looked online for recipes, and then searched my cookbooks, but nothing really moved me. There were a lot of plain roasts with yorkshire puddings, there were a lot with complicated sauces, but what I wanted was a simple but tasty New England style prime rib, like you would get in a good Boston restaurant. So I decided to make up my own recipe using fresh herbs, garlic, and create a wet rub.

First I picked some thyme, sage and rosemary from my little herb garden and chopped it all up into a little tiny dice.


Then I added 3 garlic cloves that were smushed by my knifeblade, and some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. I poured a big dollop of extra-virgin olive oil and then mixed up the herbs into a web rub.


With my impeccibly clean hands, I then rubbed the entire roast with the web rub, making sure to coat the fat on top of the roast.


I inserted the meat thermometer and placed the roast in the lower middle rack of the oven, which was turned to 450 degrees for 30 minutes, and then turned down to 350 until the thermometer registered about 135. I then pulled out the roast to rest for a few minutes while the side dishes cooked.


We had roasted brussel sprouts, winter squash with a brown sugar and pecan glaze, mashed potatoes, hotel rolls, and a lovely sparkling juice drink.

Then I sliced the roast as best I could, which was pathetic. The recipes all said that you should serve two ribs per person, but there is no way we could eat that much, so I sliced the three ribs, and then sliced each of those in half. It was a lot of meat and served two full meals.


But OMG, is that not gorgeous? It came out perfectly. Pink inside, juicy as can be, and so tasty. What a success story! I wish I could cook this again some day because it was easy and so absolutely delicious.

Unfortunately, with every dinner comes lots and lots of dishes. Why can't someone invent a kitchen that can clean up after itself, like on the Jetsons? How hard can that be after sending a man to the moon?

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

12 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

Oh, the cleanup. I was up past 10 on Christmas Eve cleaning up the kitchen from our 6:00 turkey dinner. Filled the dishwasher, made turkey stock, picked the carcass clean for soup, gathered all the linens, and more. I was so exhausted today I napped after supper (leftovers!). Now the auto-cleanup would be an invention worth a patent!

25/12/08 11:26 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

Wow, that does look delicious!

26/12/08 1:46 AM  
OpenID movindowntheroad said...

oh wow. the soup I had is not satisfying me at all after seeing this!

26/12/08 4:37 PM  
Blogger Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

I am drooling!

26/12/08 6:02 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

This is great, look lovely and seems like you had a great time, so why, please tell me, would you never prepare this meal again...? I prepered this too for Christmas with similar rave results.

27/12/08 12:45 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

I know it may seem time-consuming but try air-drying your roast for two days in your fridge(a natural dehydrator)uncovered. If there is a fat cap criss-cross lightly with a knife. Sear the roast all around and cool, then rub in your garlic-herb mix and set in a maximum 250 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes per pound. When roast reaches 130 degrees remove and allow to stand for at least 20 minutes before slicing. I like the Cook's Illustrated recipe(Nov/Dec 1995) Bon Appetit!

27/12/08 10:55 AM  
Blogger laurie said...

I made the same meal last week and it was great. Another tip if you go to the grocery store the day after christmas the will usually have a lot of rib roasts left and they will mark them down, Also the will have the bones on sale really cheap,{i oaid 99 cents a LB at hannafords. These are great for making homeade beef broth for the freezer.

27/12/08 12:51 PM  
Blogger John G. said...

I've found the best roasts to be from Dom's in Malden, and produce from Rosebud, almost next door.

From a cleanup perspective, I use a screen in the pan which I line with aluminum foil - catches all of the juices, and no cleanup. I also make baked stuffed potatoes, acorn squash and asparagus - all requiring little cleanup.

Key: I use fancy, heavy duty paper plates and heavy paper napkins along with our regular utensils and glassware. Cleanup takes under ten minutes for the whole thing.

Final tip - plenty of Domaine Chandon Blanc de Noir champagne, from hors d'oerves to dessert.

Yum.

PS - my wife only makes the gravy, I do all the rest - she has a great day and we all can relax.

27/12/08 7:00 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Mary, this cut of meat was REALLY expensive. Like almost our whole food budget for the week. I can't justify spending that kind of money for one meal, no matter when that meal occurs. But oh, it was SOOOO good, and I'm glad that a friend gifted us with this because it gave me a chance to make such an outstanding meal for my family.

27/12/08 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

MMM, that rub looks good! We bought an 11 pound roast (no clue how many ribs) for our preChristmas dinner. Although it was far more pricey than say, turkey or chicken, it wasn't TOO bad, about $10.50/lb. We got it at our local butcher. My dad found one at a big chain grocery store for $4.99/lb but it was rather fatty.

28/12/08 8:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

MMM, that rub looks good! We bought an 11 pound roast (no clue how many ribs) for our preChristmas dinner. Although it was far more pricey than say, turkey or chicken, it wasn't TOO bad, about $10.50/lb. We got it at our local butcher. My dad found one at a big chain grocery store for $4.99/lb but it was rather fatty.

28/12/08 8:19 AM  
Blogger bobsledding said...

This is just like a recipe I use from epicurious.com - Herbed Rib Roast. I make the rub and then leave it on to marinate overnight before searing the rib roast in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes and then cooking for 1 1/2 hours at 350. I use an 8 lb. boneless rib roast I get from the New England Meat Market in Peabody and I paid $8.99/lb. this year. One year I got my roast at Whole Foods and it was way over $100 for just the meat - no difference in taste, either! This meal is delicious and lots of leftover yummies for a couple of days after Christmas. Cleanup is a breeze because you deglaze the pan with beef broth and garlic to make the jus and add the herbs once you transfer it to a saucepan to simmer.

29/12/08 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.