HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Have you ever met a human popsicle?

Damn it is so cold outside, and of course that means it's so cold inside. It is really barbaric, and we haven't even gotten to the coldest part of this cold snap. I hate to say this but Canada, could you keep your freaking weather on your side of the border? I mean really, what were you thinking sharing this freezing weather? Was this your way of being friendly? Cause it's not working. Not a bit.

This afternoon, when the Boy came home from school, I was in my usual winter attire for hanging around the house. Sweat pants, UGGs, 3 shirts, hoodie, scarf, hat, and my down comforter thrown over me. I look like a giant mountain but it's the only way I can keep warm. I asked him to check the temperature inside. It was 57 degrees in my house. FIFTY SEVEN. I was like "TURN THE HEAT UP NOW!" but he was complaining he was warm. Either he's part polar bear or there is something seriously wrong with his metabolism because 57 is not warm. Not indoors, anyhow.

After cranking the heat all the way up, it's now a bone-chilling 64 degrees and I don't think I can get it any warmer. I don't want the pipes to freeze, but it's just too damn cold to keep the house warm enough.

However, looking on the bright side, my freezer hasn't been working as well as it could. It seems to freeze everything except pizza dough (I tend to make big batches and then divide it up into ziploc bags) and beef. Chicken freezes just fine. Veggies freeze perfectly well. Butter, juices, nuts... they are all frozen solid. But meat, not so much.

With this insane weather we've got the most gigantic freezer ever. I pulled all the meat out of the freezer (not much) and put it in a box with the pizza dough. We sealed up the box and put it out on the front porch, which is screened and animals don't get up there. Now everything is frozen like a rock, and it will remain so until probably March! Too bad we don't have a 10 gallon pail of ice cream, because this is the perfect time for the jumbo sized food products to sit on the porch.

If I have to replace this fridge I'm gonna be pissed. I bought it in Oct 1998, so it's just 10 years old and it was a top of the line model. The fridge seems to be working well, but the freezer is ticking me off. I hate that every single appliance in my house is falling apart. They're all so old, and they have all lived good lives, but geesh, this is getting ridiculous.

The other day the microwave starting working on it's own. I don't know why, but it is definitely weird. My kids give it such a workout that I really don't expect a long life out of it. It's about 7 years old.

This whole planned obsolescence thing annoys the crap out of me. Is it too much to ask for a dryer, fridge, microwave and food processor to all stay alive for a few more months?

I guess so.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

This is almost too simple, but it happens. Did something bump the temp control in your freezer? It sounds cold, but not cold enough.

15/1/09 12:31 PM  
Blogger Blog Antagonist said...

My upright freezer stopped working after it was only about 4 years old. I was furious because it wasn't cheap. It's about the size of a small fridge. Luckily, it turned out that it just need a new temperature control, which only cost about $40.

When I was a kid, my Mom put stuff on the airing porch all the time in the winter.

15/1/09 1:09 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Daisy, I bumped it up all the way, put in a fridge thermometer, and it's 20 degrees at it's coldest. According to the thermom, it should be 0, so it's not cold enough. However I did hear it go on this afternoon, which is the first time in a while. It might just be packed too full. Or it might need a repair. But it better not be dying because I cannot afford a new fridge.

15/1/09 5:39 PM  
OpenID chloefieri said...

When's the last time you had one of the kids dust off the coils? That's the first thing to check when a freezer just ain't keeping up.

15/1/09 9:21 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Chloe... coils? Um... where are the coils? In the back or underneath?

16/1/09 4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.