HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, January 04, 2009

A new way to grocery shop

You know how you get so sick of making the same old same old that you never want to step into the kitchen again? Well, maybe you don't, but I do. I am so sick and tired of making the same 10 or 12 dishes over and over again, knowing that the Boy will eat almost anything and the Girl will eat almost nothing. It makes me totally disinterested in cooking. Especially since much of what I make is just not what I really want to eat, either.

So this past week I got an idea and I think it's going to work. See, I collect recipes. I not only collect the recipes that I have made and liked, I also collect recipes I want to try from various web sites and food blogs. I've been collecting for quite some time, and I have about 250 recipes in my recipe file, many of which I've yet to have cooked.

My idea was to have each kid pore through the recipe file, pick out a few recipes they would like me to cook, and then print out the recipes so we could add the ingredients to our shopping list. Today we did part one of the shopping, hitting the produce market. We don't have farmer's markets when it's 20 degrees outside, so the produce market is the next best thing, especially since they buy much of their produce locally. And, just so you know, it's the market that Julia Childs used, as well as all the WGBH PBS cooking shows. It's GOOD produce. Better in both selection and quality than Whole Paycheck for a lot less of your money.


This week, the Boy asked for:

Fish Tacos with guacamole and mango salsa
Crispy Buffalo Chicken Strips with maple butternut squash and corn bread
Beef Empanadas with a large tossed salad
Tex-Mex Lasagna

The Girl asked for:

Cold Sesame Noodles with steamed bok choy
Martha Stewart's Creamy Mac-and-Cheese with a fruit salad
Ina Garten's Cauliflower Gratin and grilled teriyaki halibut steaks

The second part of the deal is, if we're eating a dish you chose, then you have to help cook. I think that's pretty fair considering I'm going way out on a limb here.

We'll end up with 2 fish meals, one chicken meal, and one beef meal. Lots and lots of veggies and fruit, and a pretty decent variety of cuisines. None of the recipes look hard, although that Tex-Mex lasagna has a LOT of steps to it.

In addition, we'll probably whip up some cookies and a few loaves of bread. I'm determined to eat well this year, especially to help my son develop better eating habits. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of and he still is a junk food junkie out of the house. We don't have junk food in the house. At all.

The Girl eats a lot healthier, she's not really interested in eating red meat at all, and she barely eats chicken or fish either. She gets plenty of protein in dairy products, which she downs like she's starving to death. She eats a lot of candy, but she eats just as much fruit and veggies. I'm not so worried about her diet as she maintains her weight well, her eyes and bright and shiny, her hair is glossy, and her skin is good.

So, that's the plan. I'll post the recipes as we make them, hopefully with photos. This isn't going to become a food blog. Don't worry. No way could I keep up with a food blog! But in-between my ranting and raving, there will be food!

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I'm impressed that they chose so many vegetables. We're still wondering if Amigo will ever eat vegetables that aren't hidden in soup or stew.

4/1/09 10:12 AM  
Blogger Anali said...

That's a great menu! I'm looking forward to the recipes and pictures.

4/1/09 2:27 PM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

By golly I think you have something here, it could work and looks like it did for you. Hope you are having a good New Year.

4/1/09 3:24 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

I'm looking forward to your food posts - I look forward to all your posts, but those will be fun too!

Maggie

4/1/09 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.