HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Reunion

Today I did something that was amazing. I reunited two friends that had lost touch 12 years ago after one moved out of state. Both of these women are good friends of mine, but I had no clue until yesterday that they knew each other. None whatsoever. It was the most serendipitous occurance I've ever experienced.

My friend Roxanne was walking her infinitesimal dog and called me while she was out to catch up on a few things. While we were talking I happened to mention my friend Jean, and that Jean was the same age as my mom. Roxanne wondered how I knew Jean and I told her that Jean was my Visiting Mom when my kids were infants. Roxanne said "Jean xxx?" and I said "Yes! Do you know her?"

Well it turned out that Jean was her Visiting Mom too! Talk about a small world.

Roxanne had moved to Michigan to be closer to her family when her personal life got really rocky for a bit, and she and Jean lost touch. Jean never loses touch with anyone. She's not only the most organized person I've ever met with an amazing desk filled with copious amounts of correspondence, she's still has friends from preschool. She's 85 years old. I taught her how to use email and a computer about 6 years ago, and now she has two email accounts and a brand new Mac laptop. She's really amazing as a friend.

Nevertheless, they lost touch, and when Roxanne moved back to MA about 10 years ago, she had no idea that Jean was looking for her. Nor did I.

I met Roxanne a while back at my parenting group and we've become close friends. When she told me that she knew Jean, I had the brilliant idea to totally surprise Jean and bring her over to Roxanne's house for a reunion. Roxanne lives in a different house in a different town, and there would be no way that Jean would know where we were going or why.

I called Jean yesterday and told her I had a huge surprise for her. We made a date for me to pick her up today and go to "the surprise." I was so excited for her because reconnecting with an old friend is just about the best thing one can do for Jean. She really values her friendships.

I picked her up today and she was quite curious. We drove over to Roxanne's house and parked in the driveway and she was confused. "Do I get out?" she asked. I told her of course, and then we went up to the front door and into the house. I yelled out my Yoohoo, and Roxanne came around the corner. Jean looked shocked. Like she could not believe what she was seeing. She just keep looking and Roxanne finally said "Do you remember me?" and Jean was so excited and said "Roxanne" in the most amazed voice. They hugged and then Roxanne's husband and kids came out and we had a wonderful reunion. Everyone hugged and kissed and had tears in their eyes. It was as if a family that had been lost for years found their way home at last.

This was such a special thing to do for Jean. It's very hard to give her gifts, as she has everything she wants and needs. It's even harder to surprise her. She's usually very calm and pretty steady about her life. This was truely a huge surprise for her, one she will remember for the rest of her life.

As for Roxanne, she was so glad to have Jean back in her life. Jean is a real steadying influence and for Roxanne, kept her sane when things were totally out of control.

I'm just happy I could do something that was so easy and made such a difference in the lives of two people I adore. Go me!

Labels: ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

Lump in throat - what a wonderful moment.

24/1/09 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.