HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 17, 2009

She's got questions, I've got answers

TX Poppet has asked me some tough questions as part of an Interview round robin currently circulating the 'net and started by The Immoral Matriarch. If you would like to participate, you need to comment and ask for an interview. I'll send you some tough questions too, and then you're off and running.

TX Poppet asked:


1. You are one of those fearless bloggers. I love that you are so outspoken. Do you ever write a post and then choose not to publish or ever delete one after publishing?

I've never deleted anything after publishing, although someone accused me of that fairly recently because he wasn't bright enough to realize that I only keep up a set number of posts at one time, and the post he was referring to had gone into the archives. Oh well, live and learn!

I can't ever remember writing something and then choosing not to publish it, but I'm sure I have at some point. I'm very outspoken in real life and on my blog, but I don't want to hurt anyone, especially my family, so there are things that I just won't blog about. I leave out big parts of my own personal life because, well... it's personal. I also leave out large parts of my kid's lives, mostly because they've asked me too. You might have noticed that there haven't been a lot of photos of them recently because they have indicated that they would prefer not to have their photos up. But I'd never take down any photos or posts that have already been seen. I kind of think that's cheating. If I've put it out there, then it's not fair for people coming to look thru my archives to miss that salient post.


2. How did a warm weather girl like you end up in Greater Boston?


It is kind of bizarre, isn't it. But it sort of makes sense. When I graduated from college in 1975, the economy was very similar to how it is now. DEEP recession, gas lines, and no jobs. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I was very sure what I didn't want to do, which was to stay in Colorado and starve. So I headed "home". Except that home was where my parents had moved to, not where I had ever lived before, and it was misery and I needed to get the hell out of dodge asap. So I applied to grad schools, knowing that I'd have a good chance of getting in as my college GPA was great.

Lo and behold, I got into the Harvard Graduate School of Education, where I parked my butt while learning how to become a teacher. It wasn't that I was destined to be a teacher or anything, it was a job that was still in a hiring mode and I know I could find work quickly. Which I did. I taught for 5 years in northern MA after grad school, living at the beach which I LOVED, and starting my adult life. First apartment without roomates, etc.

At the end of my 5th year of teaching I had to have a total knee replacement and that took months to recover from. During that time the economy tanked again, but there was this brand new industry in the Boston area called high tech. A neighbor of mine, also an ex-teacher, had gone to a course for technical writing and got a job at DEC that paid about twice what teachers made, so I took the course too, and got a job as a software engineer for a horrible defense contractor. I did that for a year, then moved to ComputerVision and worked on Cad/Cam products, and all of a sudden I lived in Boston. It became my home, I really didn't live other places except for short stints hither and yon, and I just never really left.

3. You mentioned in passing that you worked in the Netherlands and lived in Tel Aviv, can you tell us more about your travels?

One of my favorite topics. When I graduated from high school I took 2 years off and traveled around the world. I lived in Israel for a while, and had the coolest job ever. I was in the Israeli cast of Hair as a background person. I did NOT have to get naked. But I was in the cast with my boyfriend and Chris Jagger, much better looking brother of Mick. I lived in Tel Aviv only a couple of block from the beach and the Hilton Hotel. Great neighborhood, wonderful place to live. I loved it.

During that time I also traveled from Lisbon to Kabul. Don't even ask. I have no clue as to what I was thinking, but the world wasn't so dangerous way back then, I was traveling with friends, and we just didn't really know any better.

As for the Netherlands, I was working for a company that bid on and got a project in Maarsen, right outside of Utrecht. I got a corporate apartment, a fine Audi, and got to work with the most interesting and international group of people on the planet. The company was actually Norwegian, but had this office in Maarsenbrucht, and pretty much everyone was from different countries. The best part is that the Netherlands is such a small country that I could travel all over Europe for weekends, and I could also go to the South of England, where my kid's dad lives. On the ferry Friday afternoon with another Brit, weekend in England, home on Sunday night. Totally cool.

4. I would love to know more about the activities you are involved with at the JCC.

I'm using the gym machines 3 times/week with the Girl, and I've also been sitting in with the old ladies Yoga class. There are a lot of young fabulous Yoga types, but there is this one group of creaky older types, and I decided to hang with them. We do 40 minutes of Yoga and about 20 minutes of 'guided imagery' to release stress. It's very calming. We do use the Yoga bands because...old and creaky.

I also use the pool, but I'll only use it if the lane swimmers are SLOW. There are some people at the JCC that think they are Mark Spitz, and when they swim, I don't. I'm slow and steady and I do not like people nipping at my toes.

The BEST part of the JCC experience is the sauna. OMG, I could move in that thing. Very few people use it, so often it's just me, and talk about relaxing. I can feel my bones melting.

The Girl is going to take trapeze class this spring. I will not be joining her.

5. What is your greatest wish for the twins?


I have so many, but the greatest is that they find something that makes them happy, makes them money, and keeps them out of trouble. For the Boy, I just want him to find himself and learn to love something that will take him forward in life. He's a lost kid right now, and it's going to be really tough next year when his friends are all at college and he's home doing some much needed growing up. So I want him to find a passion, something that will make his year or two a positive experience. I also hope that he remains on his medication and keeps his moods even. I worry a lot about him not being med compliant when he's on his own.

For the Girl, she's got so much to look forward to, so many things she likes to do, but she has no confidence in herself. It's apparent that a rigorous academic program will be too difficult for her, even with all her hard work. But we have to find something that will enable her to attend college, be successful, and lead to a career. She's got so many talents and she's so artistic, but she just doesn't believe in herself, mostly because the school doesn't believe in her. But I do, and I KNOW she's going to be a wicked pissah adult, even with all her foibles as a teen. She's got so much going for her. I just want her to realize it.

THE END

Want to be part of it? Follow these instructions:

1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone
else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them
five questions.

You have to link back to the original post
(http://immoralmatriarch.com/questionsagain) and also to my post
(http://outtamymindwithworry.blogspot.com/2009/01/shes-got-questions-ive-got-answers.html)

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

2 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

I would LOVE to hear the questions you'd ask me. ;-) And I like talking about myself (sad but true) so...interview me, please?

(Also, is this a first-come-first-serve kinda thing, or do you interview more than one person?)

18/1/09 12:28 AM  
Blogger margalit said...

I can interview more than one person, but the question are individualized. Watch your email!

18/1/09 1:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.