HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Thursday, January 08, 2009

Sweeter than sugar

The lovely women of Mom Central asked me to review a sugar substitute new to the market called Truvia. As a diabetic, I've tried every sugar substitute ever made, and my only response to them is... I'd rather drink my tea and coffee without sweetener. I have a real dislike for aftertaste, and I don't think most of the older sugar substitutes taste even remotely like sugar. But this new one, Truvia. It's sweeter than sugar and it doesn't give you an unpleasant aftertaste like Splenda or Nutrasweet. And best of all, it's not a gross chemical concoction. It's made from the Stevia plant, which is made by steeping the leaves, much like making tea, which begins the process of capturing rebiana, the best tasting part of the stevia plant. Ultimately, this little leaf gives back a recipe for sweetness that's both delicious and zero-calorie guilt free.

One thing that surprised me was that Truvia comes in individual packets, like Nutrasweet or Sweet N Low, but each packet is equivalent to two spoonfuls of sugar. It's sweeter than sugar.

Now, I'm not a big lover of sweet drinks. I drink both my coffee and tea without any sweetener, but in order to try Truvia, I put half a packet in a cup of tea, and it was good. I tried the tea several times, and the Boy tried it in coffee. We both agreed that this was the best of the artificial sweeteners and it honestly has no aftertaste. Nor does it taste like chemicals. The big test was trying it on top of a half of a grapefruit. Now, don't tell my doctors because I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit as it interferes with cholesteral medications, but a friend brought me 3 grapefruits from Florida and I just had to eat them. HAD TO. (Because I love grapefruit so much it's ridiculous and fresh from Florida...yum.) So I sprinkled a packet of Truvia over the grapefruit and it was good. The combination of the tart sweetness of the grapefruit and the sweet of the Truvia was excellent. I'd recommend it highly.

Will I continue using the Truvia? Well, as I said, I don't use sweeteners in my coffee, and I'm not about to open a million packets to try it in baking, but I can see myself using it in smaller amounts and for guests. I'm not afraid to offer this natural product, and I hope that my kids will come to like it more than sugar on their cereal.

As a real sceptic, I can say that this is a good product for those avoiding sugar either for weight loss or because of diabetes. I think you'll like it a lot better than the other sweeteners, and that is high praise from me.

Banana Berry Smoothie with Truvia

Ingredients

1 cup strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 banana
1 cup fat free plain yogurt
1 cup orange juice
1 cup ice
4 packets Truvia natural sweetener

Procedure

1. Add all ingredients to blender
2. Blend on high until smooth
3. Enjoy

Nutrition Facts per serving

Calories 110; Total Fat, 0g; Saturated Fat, 0g; Trans Fat, 0g; Cholesterol, 0mg; Sodium, 45mg; Total Carbohydrate, 28g; Dietary Fiber, 2g; Sugars, 17g; Erythritol, 4g: Protein, 4g; Vitamin A, 4% DV; Vitamin C, 80% DV; Calcium, 10% DV; Iron, 4% DV.


Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

1 Comments:

Blogger Daisy said...

I wonder if it comes in a box or bag for baking like Sweet-n-Low used to?

9/1/09 7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.