HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 20, 2009

Being home ain't all it's cracked up to be

I knew I was going to miss the hospital. Which is such a sad statement on my home life, isn't it? But I got three meals a day, well cooked and well balanced, delivered to me by pleasant, cheerful chefs. And I got spoiled right quick. I don't usually get waited on hand and foot, and it was such a pleasant change of pace. Evidentally I bought into it a bit too much, because when I got home and asked my kid to make me dinner, I thought maybe he would. God, I was so very very wrong.

We had one of those TJ's healthy whole wheat veg lasagna's in the freezer. All he had to do was take it out of the freezer, rip open the box, turn on the oven, and cook it. Period. I had to literally beg him for over an hour to do it, and when he finally did, he complained bitterly, left the box on the stove and the pan it cooked in right next to it. And went to bed.

This morning I asked the Girl for breakfast. I'm still waiting for it at 5:30 pm. I'm also waiting for her to clean the litter box from before I went to the hospital. It isn't done either. There is not a lot of non-cook food in our house, so people have to make an effort. And that's the rub. Nobody is going to put forth any effort at all for me. They just won't. It isn't because they hate me, quite the contrary. They are 16 and they are LAZY and the world revolves around them.

Today the Girl went to play paintball with her friends. Fine, she got home in time to get to work, and she had fun. But the Boy was supposed to be helping me out. I fell fast asleep after the Visiting Nurse left, around 11:30, and when I woke up, the Boy didn't seem to be around. I called and called, and no response, so I figured he had left me and gone out with his friends. When the Girl got home to get ready for work, she found him asleep and non-responsive upstairs, wrapped around a 'bowl of food'. He's still up there. Which means that he did absolutely nothing to help me out, including getting me food. So I've skipped breakfast and lunch, which is wonderful for the diabetic diet, sigh. I can't do it myself yet. I hurt too much and cooking on percocet: bad idea.

I did, however, eat a whole pound of red grapes a friend brought over. And the Girl will bring home food from Panera tonight after work. I'll eat eventually.

I'm totally exhausted. Beyond exhausted. I can barely move without feeling like I've got terminal mono or something. I know it's just the healing response to surgery, but omg, it's hard on me. The visiting nurse will be coming several times/week, and I'm getting a bump up on the home health aide, so I'm going to find one that can cook and do laundry. Because those things aren't getting done in a timely manner and are going to affect my healing accordingly.

And just to put the frosting on the cake, this morning I heard a loud crash and the sound of breaking something or other. I called the Girl downstairs to see what it was. Pepper finally got Fishy out of the fish bowl and ate part of him. EWWWWWW. So gross. So no more Fishy, which means no more begging for the Girl to clean out his bowl and no more bitching at Pepper to leave the fish alone. You know, there is a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about Fishy.

I hope your kids can give themselves a mental smack upside the head and realize that you just need a little help for a few days till you're better.

20/2/09 6:42 PM  
Blogger debra said...

If I were closer, I organize a meal helping group. I hope you get the help you need soon.

21/2/09 8:58 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

A moment of silence for fishy.
Now a moment of mourning for the litter box - because if it doesn't get cleaned out soon, someone (predications as to whom?) will certainly be terminal.

21/2/09 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.