Mary's oldest son Donovan was badly injured and burned in the fire. Mary was also injured, and they both are in the hospital. Her two younger sons were not injured.
Additional three firefighters were injured in the fire, including one that fell through the floor. They have all been sent to the hospital as well.
This was a 3-alarm fire that started at 6 am this morning. They don't know what started the fire yet, but the initial thought is that it was electrical.
I've known Mary for several years. She's a Parent Partner with MSPCC. She helps advocate for parents with special needs kids, especially those with emotional problems. A single mom, Mary has three sons, all of whom are special needs kids with emotional problems. She is one of the moms that "gets it" and she's a wonderful community resource.
All the time I've known Mary she's talked about her house being a rat-trap that the landlord ignores. She paid below market rent, has lived in the immediate neighborhood her entire life, and choose to stay there to avoid paying the outrageous rents in better, more well-kept housing. As with many landlords in our city, he collected his rents and did absolutely nothing to the upkeep of the building. She has lived there for many years and has watched her building deteriorate. And then it went up in smoke this morning. The estimated damages: $800,000. None of that is Mary's. I doubt she even had renter's insurance.
Mary was dirt poor despite working full time. She drove a collection of junkers, one worse than the next. Everyone in the fire department and police department knew her, and helped her out a lot with her sad cars.
I'm terribly worried for her family. With no home, and no ability to pay market rents, she's going to have to rely on the Newton Housing Authority. Well good luck to her, because they are as crooked an organization as can be, and their motto is "we don't help people."
Please send Mary your best wishes. She really needs them. Stumble It! JBlog Me