HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Friday, February 13, 2009

I hit the big time

Hi from the penthouse! Last night, when I was finally admittted to the hospital after hours of waiting for a room, I found out that they gave me a room in the "Pavilion" which translates to the fancy-schmancy penthouse floor for the rich and famous. And me.

I don't ever want to leave. This place is amazing. I took pictures which I'll post once I get home because I can't download them here, but let me just describe the room. You walk in and the first thing you see is a wall of tiger maple paneling. On that wall, I've got a nice red print sofa, two guest chairs in complementary red upholstery, and a small side table with a lamp. To the left is the kitchenette. I've got a fridge and a microwave, counterspace and a sink. There is more counterspace here than in by kitchen at home. The kitchen faces out onto a huge glass wall with a lovely view.

I've got a private bathroom but it' nothing fancy. I heard that someone down the hall has a bathroom with a glassed in stall shower and a separate bedroom. I don't rate THAT high, I guess.

The bed is pretty much the same as any other hospital bed, but the drawers are a nice light maple. The private nurse's office takes up one corner of the room. There are windows to look in on me, but they're actually not IN my room.

There are two plasma tvs with cable. One faces me, the other faces the sofa, which folds out into a guest bed. You can have family members move in with you... but I thought that would be a little TOO stressful.

The floor is some kind of wood laminate Pergo thing, also in a light maple. The whole room is spotlessly clean and so refreshingly new and modern. I love it.

But the best part? It's the PRIVATE CHEF from the CIA/NY who takes your orders from a large leatherette menu, and brings you back your food cooked just for you in a kitchen on the floor. The food is delicious. I know. It's shockingly good. Last night for dinner I had a lovely tuna nicoise salad (no olives, alas) and grilled salmon with haricot verte, brown rice, and spinach.

This morning it was a strawberry yogury parfait, a bowl of steel cut oatmeal, and fresh pinapple. And real coffee. REAL coffee.

I never ever want to leave. Sigh.

So I've been here less than 24 hours and I've already lost 5 lbs of water weight. Overnight I rid my body of 2.5 liters of urine. Can you believe it? It's like it just pours out of my if I have IV lasix. I knew I was overloaded, so I accepted a Foley so I could at least sleep last night. And even with the catheter, I didn't sleep well. But I got more sleep than I have in a long time.

The plan is to continue to diurese me until I'm on empty, then I'll get a chest cat scan to look at my heart, go to the cath lab and do a double catheterization to check out my function, and talk to the doctor I saw years before about doing an ablation. Yes, it's surgery, but at this point I just want to get a bit better and not keep declining.

So that's the news from the hospital. Oh, did I mention a laptop in my room? I'm living high on the hog!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

6 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Woohoo! So glad you're getting better in such luxury. Enjoy it as much as you can. :-)

13/2/09 2:54 PM  
Blogger Suldog said...

Best of luck, in all matters. Sounds like you've had some already! Enjoy the yumminess!

13/2/09 4:28 PM  
Blogger Nyt said...

Congratulations!.....Looks like MassHealth got their portion of the stimulus. Bwaahahaha!!

13/2/09 5:01 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I hope you're feeling better soon! I'm glad you're enjoying your stay, especially the chef. But please, please, get better soon.

13/2/09 5:51 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Sounds like a great place to recuperate - both physically and mentally.

Enjoy that private chef!

14/2/09 6:44 AM  
Blogger Rachel Yehezkel said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery, but with enough time to enjoy a little more :-)

15/2/09 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.