HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Monday, February 09, 2009

NPR interview was fun

Curt, the guy that interviewed me tonight, came over right before we were to have dinner. I had already made the chicken stock, but I hadn't pulled the meat off the bones yet, nor had I made the biscuits. I had the Boy help with the biscuits, so you will hear him as well as me talking. We got the ingredients out, mixed up the dough, and put it on parchment on baking pans. Nothing too complicated.

But while we were working, we talked about how I've cut back on my grocery bill by shopping the perimeter of the store, buying things in season and locally whenever possible, and not purchasing anything packaged, nor any junk food. I told him about the weekly meals that I make, and how we do pretty much everything ourselves, even things like pizza and bread.

I mentioned that this is much cheaper, and that I'm saving about 40% of our former budget, adjusted for price increases in the past year, but that it takes a lot of effort on my part to get a meal on the table every single night.

The Boy talked about how his friends don't usually have sit down dinners every night like we do, and said that many of his friends LOVE to come to dinner at our house, not only because they like a home cooked meal, but because dinner is always entertaining as well. Which is true, most of the time anyways.

He said that he was just on IM with one of his buddies and the kid said that I was a really good cook. I can't really respond to that other than to say that if the kids are used to eating Hamburger Helper, then yes, I am a really good cook.

Much of the conversation was about the cost of food and how much we were saving by not buying packaged foods. We also touched upon the fact that the sales of packaged foods is going up during the recession, which appears to be the result of people working 2 or more jobs and just tossing dinner on the table. It's such a shame to hear that, because it's not only cheaper to make your own meals, but it's also so much healthier. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I think a lot of people just don't realize how much money they waste by buying packaged foods. Every time I hear about using coupons I want to scream "That food is TERRIBLE for you, and it's expensive even with a coupon."

I was really proud of how the Boy conducted himself. He did a wonderful job of agreeing with much of what I said, but expressing his sadness over the lack of junk food. He was such a typical kid. I love that about him, that for all his craziness, he can pull it together and be a real mensch.

Don't know yet when it will be on, and I'm not going to post the link here. If you want to know, email me and I promise to respond. Or you can DM me on twitter if we're friends. For those I don't know by name, sorry, but my real name is being used and I don't give it out to people I don't know.

Labels: , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Coooool! I would love to hear the interview when it's aired so I can have your voice in my head. :-)

Also, this made me laugh:

"He said that he was just on IM with one of his buddies and the kid said that I was a really good cook. I can't really respond to that other than to say that if the kids are used to eating Hamburger Helper, then yes, I am a really good cook."

Because it's so true! I have vivid memories of being invited to stay for a spaghetti dinner once at our friends' house, and then having to politely choke down the pasta with thin, bland tasteless sauce and "garlic toast" that was Wonder Bread spritzed with that spray margarine stuff and sprinkled with garlic salt. *shudder*

People are always amazed by my cooking, when I really don't do anything that's so special. I just make stuff from scratch. Homemade food--pizza, stir-fry, soup, spaghetti sauce, you name it--is nearly always tastier (cheaper! healthier!) than restaurant or pre-packaged food. Period.

10/2/09 12:33 AM  
Blogger hschinske said...

Ah, a possible frugality tip: I used to think parchment paper wasn't worth it, but I do really like it now. But I also reuse it a bunch of times before throwing it out. You probably already do that. Those silicone mat things kind of freak me out, but I can see if they really worked and you baked a lot they'd save money over parchment paper in the long run.

10/2/09 5:33 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I'm glad it went well! I love the comment from his friend that you're a good cook. My daughter's friends always liked hanging around our house because I enjoy baking. My banana bread recipe was in demand with all the other moms!

10/2/09 9:49 PM  
Blogger paper napkin said...

I hope when my kids are teens our house is the house where kids like to have dinner. I'd like to listen to the interview too.

11/2/09 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.