HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

There's procrastination and then there is The Boy

Procrastination is genetic in our family. My father had it, I have it, and The Boy has it in spades. I don't think I've ever seen such a perfect example of procrastination in action as the Boy exhibits on a daily basis. Let's look at the last 24 hours in the Boy's attempt to never get anything done.

He has a list of chores he needs to work on. They include:

Washing his pizza dishes from Superbowl Sunday
Bringing down all the dishes, silverware and cups from his bedroom and washing them.
Taking out the garbage
Taking a shower
Doing a load of laundry
Writing his Film Studies paper

On Sunday morning I woke him up fairly early to get started on his chores. He went upstairs to do his room and fell asleep. Upon waking him, he did get one bag of garbage picked up in his room, and he did start to clean out his closet and pack the clothes he no longer fits in into plastic bags. In order to do so he had to have his friend over because he cannot do this on his own. And that brings us to Monday.

List remains the same. He went to school, came home, watched Ed Wood, the movie he was supposed to write a paper on due today, went upstairs and took a nap. He was exhausted. When I got him up, I nagged incessently until he did the garbage and washed his pizza dishes and cleaned up the mess he left in the kitchen. At 8 pm he sat down at the computer to "write" his paper, but there was no typing going on, and then he quit and said he was too exhausted to write. OK then, paper due when? Why this morning! Good timing.

He asked me to wake him up at 6 this morning so he could write his paper. Talk about cutting it close. He had to be in school at 8:30. So I woke him up on time, he actually got out of bed, sat around for 10 minutes to 'wake up', and then sat at the computer and wrote a paper.

Let me repeat that. He wrote a paper before school this morning. A paper he has known about since last Monday. Now that is excellence in procrastination. I have to admit, I probably would have left it for the last day, but there is no way I would have been able to sleep knowing that I had to get up and write a paper. He doesn't operate that way. He puts everything off till the last possible second, even though he knows that it causes him way more trouble in the long run.

He has 2 8-page papers due in this class. I can't wait to see how fast he cranks those out. At least this is good training for college. Right?

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Suldog said...

When I was going to Boston Latin (no, I didn't graduate) I used to do papers while riding the train from Dorchester. Yours sounds a small step up from that, so...

3/2/09 11:44 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

A teenager? Writing papers in the morning? I'm impressed.

3/2/09 6:25 PM  
Blogger WitchScribe said...

Is he by chance 14 or 15? LOL - I have a 14 year old at home who is in that definite stage of procrastination. I make him lists as well. He earns television and gaming time (on the Wii, XBox360) by doing all of his chores and keeping his grades up. Because he loves movies and gaming, this system has worked out grandly. He used to have a t.v. in his room. I took it out. Now he earns t.v./game time in the living room by how well he keeps up on his duties!

4/2/09 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.