HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wash your hands

I have told my kids at least 100 times today to wash their hands. Considering their age, it seems ridiculous to me to have to constantly remind them, but damn if they can't seem to remember that constant handwashing is helpful in kicking lingering diseases collective asses. My kids have been sick for what seems forever. They both have the "I'm better for a week and I'm sick again" illness. The Girl seems to have now caught the rotovirus that is going around in addition to her rhinovirus. The child is a walking plague. The Boy has another cold/migraine/sore throat. I swear, if there were ice floes on the Charles, I'd volunteer to be put on one rather than to hear the constant hacking, snorting, sniffling, and of course the melodious sounds of puking.

So far, touch wood, I haven't caught anything, but if I do, I'm going to be a very unhappy camper. I feel exhausted and crappy enough without an actual disease felling me.

Tomorrow, someone is coming from the Visiting Nurses to install something on my phone that will collect my vitals and whisk them off to the doctor's office. I have no clue as to how this is going to work, but it will join my defibrillator monitor in the pile of weird medical equipment I have around the house.

Later today I got a call from a Wilfred Brimley type that wanted to sell me a new die-a-bee-tus monitor and supplies mailed to my home. Um, no thank you. I have a monitor and I get my die-a-bee-tus supplies at my local CVS. I don't need them mailed to me. CVS delivers, anyhow.

I am going to admit something personal. I cannot stand one more word about OctoMom, her Octodonor, Octograndma or Octograndad. I've had it with the discussions. The populace talking nasty about Octomom isn't going to change the fact that she has 14 children and no way of taking care of them. If we're going to do the subject to death, shouldn't the children be the focus? Instead of talking about her being a welfare cheat (lovely since she doesn't even get welfare), shouldn't we be discussing how someone with an obvious mental disorder should be getting help, as should her disabled children. Yes, she made stupid decisions, but this isn't anyone that has all their knives in the drawer, either. She's off. And the babies should not have to suffer nasty comments from anyone for something that was not their choice or fault. They should get all the help they need to live strong productive lives and if we all have to pay a penny more on our taxes to ensure that this happens, then I'm all for it.

We have way to many small minds that are quick to condemn without looking at the whole picture. Those kids are here. They're all alive. Punishing them for their mother's apparent mental issues isn't just wrong, it's cruel. And I don't want to hear about it any more. If you can't think positive thoughts towards those kids, then STFU. Really.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

4 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

If it makes you feel any better, I was a National Merit Scholarship winner...and I still didn't wash my hands on a regular basis till I was in college. *sigh* I don't know why I could never spare the extra 20 seconds it would take to wash my hands in a public restroom, but I was REALLY bad about it. It was actually a job that got the habit drilled into me, when I worked at an after-school program where we were required to wash our hands before starting work and anytime we helped a child blow a nose or some such thing.

Anyway. There's hope for your kids yet. :-) And congrats to the Boy on getting into the college he wanted!

24/2/09 5:44 PM  
Blogger gem said...

Hey, did I miss something about the Boy and his college place. How did that slip by me?
Couldn't agree more about Octomum by the way. Those kids did not ask to be born. It makes my toes curl when I hear nasty comments. Whatever the rights and wrongs, what is needed now is for people to stop judging and deal with the mess

24/2/09 6:04 PM  
Blogger Margaret Cloud said...

People and kids alike need to wash their hands more. I will not prepare a meal with someone if they don't wash up. It is hard when your children are sick, they constantly need attention. Hope this finds you all feeling better. I have no comment on OctoMom.

24/2/09 8:15 PM  
Blogger Rhea said...

I'm with you on OctoMom. She did what she did, she needs help and I am sick of men lobbing death threats -- yes, death threats -- at this poor woman.

25/2/09 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.