HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

2 Thumbs up from the cardiologist

Well, whatever my heart sounded like before, according to my doctor, it's sounding a lot better now. Which is totally good news. She told me that my coronary arteries were looking fabulous (which is better than my old cardiologist's comment that they were like sewer pipes) and that the ablation was a stunning success. Phew!

I do feel differently, although today I'm fairly bloated because I ate... ok, confession time... a 1/4 spear of a half sour pickle. I know, I know... I am not allowed to eat pickles. I know this, but I have no willpower when it comes to a half-sour spear. I just don't. I can resist potato chips and olives, my other two favorite salty foods, but I cannot resist the dreaded pickle.

I've also kicked the evil cold that has been circling the house. I only had it for four days. I know that this sounds just like everyone else that had a cold, but for me, this is astounding. Astonishing. Every cold I've had since the mid-80's has turned into bronchitis, pneumonia, and many other horrid lung disorders. The average time I have a cold is about 2 months.

Now, my theory is that they pumped me up with so many antibiotics before and just after the surgery that my body didn't welcome the cold in it's usual manner. Instead of inviting the cold in, showing it the guest room and providing lavish feasts, it decided that the cold was an unwelcome guest and tossed it out right quick. Lucky me!

Onto less boring news. Yesterday Jen linked to my post about the haters and she got something like 160 comments. Of course the haters showed up, no great surprise there... because nothing says hatin' like stalking. A couple left some fairly hilarious comments, but for the most part her readers totally got it. Of course it made the haters stand out like sore thumbs. Silly silly people.

I don't know if you've met Jen or read her books, but she's just fabulous. I met her last year and will be seeing her again this year on her trip to Boston. She was the keynote speaker at Blissdom, after being rejected for years by Blogher, so she and I have a mutual dislike of that particular organization. Ahem. If you haven't yet devoured her books, do so immediately. They are so funny and so Jen. Memoirs can be pretty self-indulgent, but her books are really wonderful with compelling storylines and a view of her life that will keep you glued to her books right up till the end.

And my baby girl is registering for her classes for senior year. Unlike her brother, she's taking a full load and will be wonderfully prepared for the whole college admissions thing. She's taking school so seriously. I can't begin to disclose my pride for her, with such a devastating learning disability but working above and beyond the call of duty to keep her grades up. She's one very cool kid.

It's hard not to compare the two of them at this juncture. The Boy has made absolutely as little effort as possible all through his high school career. The Girl has tried hard to take advantage of everything the school has to offer her, and she's getting fabulous encouragement from her current teachers. After last year's fiasco, she pulled it together and has just been shining all year. I KNEW she could do it, and that's why I was so frustrated time and time again when the school wanted to dump her into inappropriate programs. I fought long and hard for her, and she's totally proved me right and the school wrong. I have to admit that this year's IEP update in the spring is going to be fabulous. I can't wait, in fact, just to be able to be smug about knowing my kid better than the school psychologist who spend all of an hour with her. Jerk.

I'm working on my editorial for the paper this week, and tomorrow is a day of doing hellacious research. I'm writing about unions. Not really my area of expertise, but they totally ticking me off right now, and although my grandfather (z"l) is turning in his grave (sorry, Pop!), I've got questions and I want answers.

Tonight is a LOST night, and I'll be making pizza for dinner. The dough is already made from my fabulous bread machine and is resting on the counter. One will be fresh mozzarella and basil with sliced tomatoes, the other will be artichoke hearts, red peppers and onions. Totally yummy!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

5 Comments:

Blogger bethany actually said...

Ooh, a slice of the artichoke heart pizza for me, please!

SO great to hear your health is good! It's nice when all that pain of a surgery actually has the desired effect. :-)

4/3/09 6:35 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

I'm glad you're improving! Very glad that cold got kicked out unceremoniously. They can be nasty.

4/3/09 8:11 PM  
Blogger iagreewithme.wordpress.com said...

Awesome and wonderful news about your heart and the surgery. You must be so "heartened!". That is wonderful about the girl. I know what you mean about proving them all wrong. Good for her! I am certain having a mom who always believed in her has made a huge difference.

4/3/09 9:14 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

So glad to hear how well you're doing! Pizza sounds delish.

5/3/09 2:04 AM  
Blogger Misfit Hausfrau said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing so well. I am also glad to hear that your daughter is having a great school year. It is so nice to hear stories about parents fighting the good fight (and succeeding.)
Lastly, I had read that Jennifer had given you a shout-out (I tired to comment on your site that day, but my pc kept locking up on your site.) She is one of my favorite memoirists (and fellow Hoosier!), and I am looking forward to meeting her when she comes to Nashville.

5/3/09 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.