HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Breakfast in a box: Eggo Bake Shop Twists

A while back Mom Central asked me to review a new breakfast product and sent me coupons for a couple of boxes. We went to the grocery store and got apple and strawberry flavor Eggo Bake Shop Twists, ($2.99/box, 4 in a box) and my kids proceeded to devour both boxes so that I only had one bite of each flavor. I'll give you my opinion last, but first, since the product is directed at kids, I'll let you know what my kids said.

My son ate most of them, and he thought the dough was spongy due to the microwave, but for him, spongy is good. He really seemed to like the strawberry filling best, but he ate the apple ones too. I think he liked that they were convenient, he could just pull them out of the box, microwave them for a few seconds and then eat. That's a fairly unusual breakfast occurance in our house, which I'll explain in a bit.



The Girl is a PICKY eater with a capital P. She eats almost nothing. How she stays alive is beyond me. But she did eat a couple of the strawberry Eggo Bakeshop Twists. And that's saying something positive, because really, she eats pretty much nothing.

Now, this is not a product that I would buy on a regular basis. First, it has corn syrup and palm oil in the ingredients list, and second, it isn't certified Kosher.

However, I can see that a parent of young kids who are eating breakfast in the car would find these a great alternative to some of the other options like donuts or muffins. They aren't crumby, so they don't make much of a mess, and there isn't a lot of filling to get all over everything. In fact, we all agreed that more of the fruit filling would be a very good thing.



The fact that the boxes disappeared from our freezer within a few days is testimony that my kids liked them. I can't say either of them loved them, but the novelty of having a breakfast food that they could nuke and eat while they're walking to school was great for them.

I rarely eat food like this. I'm not a big fan of frozen food for breakfast. Oh heck, I don't eat breakfast. I eat the same damn thing every single day around noon, which I consider breakfast, but it's really lunch. Yogurt with granola and berries. So just eating something hot and baked is jarring enough. Like my kids, I thought that there could be more filling, and I'm a flaky crispy kinda gal, so the dough was soft for me. They were OK, I probably would eat them if they were around. Self-control is not my middle name.

My overall feeling is, if you like convenience foods than this is a great product for you. It's certainly convenient, it's easy for little kids to eat, it doesn't make a mess, and they aren't nutritionally horrible. But the photo on the package and the real product inside didn't exactly mesh, and the flaky pastry I was expecting, filled with fruit filling, wasn't really what I got.

photos by Robyn

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

0 Comments:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.