HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

LOST Discussion Thursday: Dead is Dead

Hi guys. I'm not back yet, I'm too busy with Passover to do anything but cook, cook, and cook. Oh, and tonight we ate, too. But I've got some stuff in the works and I should return in a reasonable amount of time. In the meantime, I'll do my LOST updates, but that's about it. Thanks for all the emails. It's been wonderful hearing from so many of you lurkers as well as my regulars.

And now to LOST!

OMG, what an episode. Heart thumping would be putting it mildly. This is the first episode where I was actually scared enough to whimper when Ben was facing Smokey. I'm a total chicken anyhow, but I found that really frightening.

I've been missing Desmond, but what a way to see him again. Now at least we know what happened to Ben before he got on the plane. But how come he didn't drown? And wasn't the scene with baby Charlie and Penny wonderful. Ben does have a heart, and he's a softie when it comes to kids. I didn't expect that, especially after his own kid was murdered because of his weird behavior.

Ben taking Alex from CFL was surprising, especially with a young Ethan at his side. When he didn't kill Danielle and pissed off Charles Widmore in a TERRIBLE hairpiece, I think we began to see that he can make righteous decisions when he is confronted with babies and weak, crazy mothers. I hate to admit it, but this week Ben was sympathetic and I kinda liked him. Or at least had some empathy for him. Shhhhh, don't tell!

I was happy to see that Ben did love Alex and that in the final scenes with her and Smokey she let him know exactly what she thought of him. She's taking the power from him, as is Locke, and I think we're going to see a very different Ben from now on. I don't think he's going to be a good guy, but his chastisement really did seem to sink in, at least a little.

As for Alex, dead or alive? I'm going for dead and simply a vision that was for Ben's eyes only, but I'm sure to be wrong. But Ben did say that the island has never resurrected anyone before Locke. Was he lying?

Did you see the connection between the new Losties on the beach and the Others? I don't know who they are yet, but they're not innocent and the Island isn't unknown to them. Which begs the question, was everyone on that plane bound for the Island?

The connection between Locke and Ben is changing. Locke is taking power from Ben and Ben seems willing, at least for now, to allow Locke to become the leader. I wonder how long that will last. Ben is going to have a very hard time not being in charge, something Locke noticed and commented upon. Ben's face was classic when he had to admit that yes, it was very hard for him not to be the leader.

Sun. What's going on with her? I know she wants to be with Jin, and I understand that she will do anything Locke says to get back to Jin, but does she actually trust Locke? I don't think she trusts anyone, but I hope she doesn't grab for power because that won't end well.

Lapidus? WTF? He goes back to the New Losties and the turn on him. They are not nice people. And what the hell is in that trunk and where did it come from? Where did they find the guns? Did they have them stowed on board the flight?

OK, let's talk about Smoky's home underneath the Temple. First, I want to know if the Other's built the temple and is it actually a religious place or just sort of a special meeting house. Obviously they meant to hide it, but from whom? It was there pre-Dharma, so who were they protecting it from?

Second, how come Ben never knew about the hole under the Temple and where Smokey lives. He knows EVERYTHING on that Island, but he missed that. And what was with the puddle in his basement as a way of calling Smokey? That was weird, eh?

Next, heiroglyphics? Really? Are we to assume that the Egyptians came to the Island? Because those were very Egyptian glyphs, not central American. Or Native America. And if they were Egyptian glyphs, how did they get there? The one of SmokeMonster was different in both look and feel, and didn't have words. So what's with that?

When Ben tossed the gun to Locke after shooting Caesar (I think that was his name... I forgot!) and said, "Consider that my apology." I though Locke was gonna shoot him for a second. The relationship between those two can only grow more complex over the coming weeks.

Loved this episode, even though it was pretty damn scary under the Temple. Thankful to see Alex and Danielle again, if only for a second. And Desmond! DESMOND. Love him.

Can't wait till next week!

Labels: , , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

10 Comments:

Blogger Avitable said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/4/09 7:21 AM  
Blogger ~*Michelle*~ said...

Don't throw Dharma tomatoes but it wasn't one of my favorite episodes

I mean of course I enjoyed it, it's LOST!! But I am a huge Sawyer, Hurley, Jack, Dharma kinda fan so looking forward to next week.

I will say that we did see a spooky side to many people and things.

My recap is up at my blog too~

9/4/09 8:22 AM  
Blogger Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

I was kind of feeling sympathy for Ben too.... *shuuush!* :P

I think that Ben's compassion for children might be the reason Ethan survived the Dharma massacre. What do you think?

I blogged a little about what the hieroglyphics might mean... but yeah, no idea how they got there lol

9/4/09 10:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah Eliza @ devastateboredom said...

I was just looking around your blog and it looks like things have been rough lately... I'm so sorry! I hope things get better in the interwebs world, and ease up in real life too. :)

9/4/09 10:57 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

So glad you decided to post a LOST recap. Loved last night's episode! It's nice to know that Ben has a weak spot. For kids no less.

I was absolutely fascinated by the temple with the smoke monster. If I were Ben, I would have examined the hieroglyphs and the nices with the crumbling statues. Of course, he was there for a specific purpose. The hieroglyphs were reminiscent of Egyptian glyphs but were much too rudimentary. The only thing that seemed really Egyptian was the picture of what appeared to be an Egyptian god kneeling before the smoke monster. The architecture of the structure is much more Precolumbian. Especially the doorways. I'm sure I'm reading too much into this but I have a background in anthropology so this gives me a chance to geek out.

The new Losties are definitely suspicious. I was surprised that Cesar got killed already. Loved the part with Ben and Desmond! Desmond is still one of my favorites!!!

9/4/09 11:01 AM  
Blogger kisatrtle said...

I have to say this was not one of my favorite episodes. Maybe because I was rooting for the smoke monster. LOL

Like you I'm curious about those other plane rides Ilana seems a little alarming and Cesar was just plain annoying.

Looking forward to next week

9/4/09 1:47 PM  
Blogger Elabeth said...

OK, so if the island never brought anyone back to life before, what about Jack and Claire's dad, Christian? Didn't it bring him back or is he just a ghost? OR is he really the smoke monster taking that form to manipulate everyone? Was that really Alex or was it the smoke monster using her likeness to put Ben in his place? Dang, I hope everything gets explained by the end of this thing.

9/4/09 1:47 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Elabeth, good questions. I have no answers but now you've got me thinking. I think Christian is a ghost, just like Claire is a ghost. But maybe they're just lost in time.

9/4/09 2:27 PM  
Blogger Avitable said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/4/09 2:29 PM  
Blogger margalit said...

Sorry, the troll who thinks he can't be stopped keeps commenting so I've shut down comments. I suggest the troll take a drive down Newburyport Avenue and stop at #175. I have a strong feeling he's going to be VERY familiar with that building soon enough. Ta ta!

9/4/09 3:31 PM  

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.