HOME

Name: margalit
Location: Massachusetts, United States Professional writer, educational advocate, opinionated ultra liberal mother of 18 year old twins, living life in the slow lane due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, congestive heart failure, and diabetes.

email: margalitc at yahoo dot com

View My Complete Profile

My Amazon.com Wish List

Rate this Blog at Blogged

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

PanHandling!

Photobucket

Alltop, confirmation that we kick ass



Powered by FeedBlitz

Subscribe with Bloglines

Blog Search: The Source for Blogs

Add to Technorati Favorites

Digg!

Powered by Blogger

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year

As you know, I've been as far off the grid as I could be over the past 18 months. I've learned a lot during that time, and I'm hoping that this blog will reflect the changes. By the time I left blogging I was feeling bitter and angry about blogging in general, and with a few of my readers in particular. You all know. I don't need to go over it again.

My kids are adults now, and no longer can I or will I blog about them except in very general terms. Things continue to improve with them both since they graduated from high school and are no loner immersed in the pressure cooker of high school. There are very positive things, and some less positive things I can say, but the challenges of everyday life has greatly improved over the past year.

The biggest news is that we left suburbia once Gemma was out of school and moved into the city. In all the years that I've lived here in MA, I've never actually lived in the city. It is quite the learning experience dealing with the city and it's rules. My car was towed during the snow because I was stupid and didn't keep track of the news. Now I know that a snow emergency means "get your frigging car off the street." Lesson learned.

When we first arrived here both the kids whined about how far it was and how impossible it was to get back to the old neighborhood. I kept telling them that the bus was really close by, but what do I know? And then they discovered that the bus is literally 4 houses away and their friends started arriving every night. Another problem solved.

The hardest part of the move has been all the things that got "lost" during the move. Our whole kitchen disappeared. But that's not all! Every waste basket we owned is gone, every bit of cleaning supplies including mops, brooms, dustpan, etc. The glass inserts for the coffee tables are gone. It just goes on and on and on.

Unpacking has been difficult with all the missing stuff, and we're living with boxes and cartons half packed waiting for shelves and furniture to put the stuff in, I've become a big fan of freecycle and craigslist but that has it's own difficulties. We'll get it done eventually, probably once Gemma returns from Bolivia.

Graham is way to ADHD to be a good helper, but he amuses me no end as he starts something and then gets distracted within minutes. He sees the humor of it as well, and we end up laughing our asses off as he wanders around totally confused. Thank goodness we both have good senses of humor.

Since I last blogged we lost Worthless Pet and got two teeny kittens a year apart. First was Pepper, a female tiger who is the love of my life, next was Spot, a black and white male with a misanthropic personality. He spends way too much time being grumpy and stand-offish. But we love him anyways.

The past year was a real low point regarding my health. I had a 9 week stay in the hospital and almost died twice. I had two visits to ICU, had my heart restarted three times and ended up in a-fibrillation all the time. But since that time I've been exceedingly careful and feel better than I have in tears. I've accepted that I can't do some things without help, which means that I now used motorized shopping carts. The first time I used one was in Lowes and it was the most liberating experience. Shopping went from a total chore to an amusement ride like bumper cars. If you've ever wondered what the experience of riding those carts is like, totally awesome fun.

Labels: , ,

Digg! Stumble It! JBlog Me add to kirtsy

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I'm so glad things are turning around for you Margalit. Here's to an even better 2011.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

2/1/11 1:24 AM  
Blogger Ranchmom said...

Welcome back! : )

2/1/11 4:31 PM  
Blogger bethany actually said...

I'm so glad to hear things are going well for your kids overall. I've thought about you all often during your hiatus! I'm also glad to hear you came through some scary health problems and are able to see the fun side of motorized shopping carts!

2/1/11 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright, 2003-2011 by Animzmirot Design Group. All rights reserved. No part of this blog may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval without written permission from Margalit, the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passages in a review. In other words, stealing is bad, and if you take what doesn't belong to you, it's YOUR karma.